Shaheed Suhrawardy’s 55th death anniversary today
Published: 09:21 AM, 5 December 2018 Updated: 11:16 AM, 5 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Today is the 55th death anniversary of the champion of democracy and one of the greatest leaders of undivided India Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy.
The unparallel leader of all Indian politics, who had dedicated his entire life to ensure the welfare of the people by upholding democracy, died at a Beirut hotel in Lebanon on December 5 in 1963. He was alone in the hotel suite at the time of his death.
Suhrawardy was a Bengali politician and statesman in the first half of the 20th century. He served as the Premier of Bengal in British India and was the fifth Prime Minister of Pakistan.
President M Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina paid their rich tributes to the memory of Suhrawardy on the occasion of his death anniversary.
In separate messages, the President and the Prime Minister prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul of Suhrawardy, terming him ‘The Champion of Democracy’.
In his message, President Abdul Hamid said, “Suhrawardi’s life and works inspire the future generations in democratic thinking and welfare of the people.”
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, in her message, said, “Suhrawardi fought for establishing political rights and socio-economic development of the working people of the subcontinent throughout his life.”
She also said, “The country’s great independence was achieved under the leadership of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the greatest Bengali of all time and the successor of Suhrawardy.”
To mark the day, different political and socio-cultural organizations, including ruling Awami League, have chalked out various programs including placing wreaths at the grave of the great leader in the morning, discussion meetings, Qurankhwani, milad and doa mahfil in the capital and elsewhere across the country.
Awami League (AL) paid tribute to the late leader by placing wreaths on his grave adjacent to the High Court at 8:00 am. Fateha and doa were offered there.
In a statement, AL General Secretary and Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader paid rich tribute to the late leader, saying that Suhrawardy had fought for establishing democracy throughout his life.
He urged the party leaders and workers and its associate bodies and other like-minded organizations to observe the death anniversary of Suhrawardy.
Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy was born in a respected Muslim family at Medinipur in West Bengal, India on September 8 in 1892.
- Govt employees salary-allowances May 28
- Mild heat wave likely to continue
- Rajshahi growers likely to export 50 tonnes mango
- Drug trader killed in gunfight with BGB
- 9 nurses pregnant at one hospital at same time
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Jubo League leader shot dead in Rangamati
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- War would mean ‘end’ of Iran: Trump
- Snatcher killed in Chattogram gunfight
- Today’s sports on TV
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Blast injures tourists near Giza pyramids
- Simmons to step down as AFG coach after WC
- Exit polls says Modi could assume again as India PM
- Mobile banking transaction limit increased
- Niketa gets AL ticket for Bogura-6 by-poll
- PM host Iftar for freedom fighters and orphans
- Bangladesh will play in semi-final: Akash Chopra
- Pollard, Bravo named in Windies` CWC19 reserves
- Farmers face Tk 11,000 loss per Bigha!
- Security to be beefed up for Eid-ul Fitr: HM
- World Metrology Day tomorrow
- Setaria farming to increase fertility
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- How to pass 65 days?
- Bangladesh`s World Cup mission starts
- Second semifinal to be held at Edgbaston
- May plans ‘bold offer’ to get support deal
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Magnitude 7.5 quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Bringing flavor back to tomatoes
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- Poverty rate comes down
- BCL announced full-fledged committee
- PM likely to visit 3 countries
- Quader returns home this evening
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- Quader to join his office today
- Two Rohingya human traffickers killed in gunfight
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Active bullock cart, crisis of day laborer
- HC bars use of phrase ‘fake freedom fighter’
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- Secret of sensational Majed killings revealed
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Advanced train ticket sale begins May 22
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- President reaches London
- Magistrate`s car attacked in Ctg
- Tigers storm into final with emphatic win
- Sheikh Hasina’s homecoming day today