Shaheed Suhrawardy’s 55th death anniversary today
Published: 09:21 AM, 5 December 2018 Updated: 11:16 AM, 5 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Today is the 55th death anniversary of the champion of democracy and one of the greatest leaders of undivided India Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy.
The unparallel leader of all Indian politics, who had dedicated his entire life to ensure the welfare of the people by upholding democracy, died at a Beirut hotel in Lebanon on December 5 in 1963. He was alone in the hotel suite at the time of his death.
Suhrawardy was a Bengali politician and statesman in the first half of the 20th century. He served as the Premier of Bengal in British India and was the fifth Prime Minister of Pakistan.
President M Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina paid their rich tributes to the memory of Suhrawardy on the occasion of his death anniversary.
In separate messages, the President and the Prime Minister prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul of Suhrawardy, terming him ‘The Champion of Democracy’.
In his message, President Abdul Hamid said, “Suhrawardi’s life and works inspire the future generations in democratic thinking and welfare of the people.”
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, in her message, said, “Suhrawardi fought for establishing political rights and socio-economic development of the working people of the subcontinent throughout his life.”
She also said, “The country’s great independence was achieved under the leadership of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the greatest Bengali of all time and the successor of Suhrawardy.”
To mark the day, different political and socio-cultural organizations, including ruling Awami League, have chalked out various programs including placing wreaths at the grave of the great leader in the morning, discussion meetings, Qurankhwani, milad and doa mahfil in the capital and elsewhere across the country.
Awami League (AL) paid tribute to the late leader by placing wreaths on his grave adjacent to the High Court at 8:00 am. Fateha and doa were offered there.
In a statement, AL General Secretary and Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader paid rich tribute to the late leader, saying that Suhrawardy had fought for establishing democracy throughout his life.
He urged the party leaders and workers and its associate bodies and other like-minded organizations to observe the death anniversary of Suhrawardy.
Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy was born in a respected Muslim family at Medinipur in West Bengal, India on September 8 in 1892.
- Best exercise for your heart
- Truck carrying aid crosses border: OPPO MP
- Golden jubilee of Bangabandhu title observed
- Palestinians’ pray in long-closed part of Al-Aqsa
- Toxic liquor death stood 102 in Assam
- Sanai’s wedding tunes with ex-Minister
- Venezuela soldiers abandon posts at Colombia border
- PM releases stamp on Bangabandhu title’s golden jubilee
- Fire guilty should be trialed: GM Quader
- Chemical found! Dail 9556014
- Scout for free from militant, drugs: AG Minister
- Snow to strike Britain again freeze!
- Chemical godowns shift starts
- Tobacco use Loss over Tk 30,000 cr per yr
- Our fight is for Kashmir, Not against Kashmiris: Modi
- Vidya on banning Pakistani artistes in India
- 300 vehicles on fire near Bengaluru Air Show
- Mithila again in love!
- Savings Week 2019 begins in Rajshahi
- John Keats recall; Physician to Poet
- Mendis, Fernando carry Sri Lanka to historic win
- Cleanliness crush program in RMCH
- BCL declers Shovon-Rabbani pannel
- Marshall Islands consider radical measures
- NASA’s new DNA for alien search
- Salman Shah`s death report submission date deferred again
- Guaido defies travel ban
- AL nomination meeting today
- Assam toxic liquor death toll mounts to 84
- Mola in ponds improves others` nutritional quality
- All News »
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Shop gutted in Sylhet fire