Shaheed Nur Hossain Day tomorrow
Published: 11:13 PM, 9 November 2019
Shaheed Nur Hossain Day, a red-letter day to restore democracy in the country, will be observed tomorrow with due solemnity.
On this day in 1987, Awami Juba League (AJL) leader Nur Hossain, who imprinted his bare chest and back with the slogans “Free democracy” and “Down with autocracy”, embraced martyrdom in police firing during an anti-autocracy demonstration at city’s Zero Point, now known as Shaheed Nur Hossain Square.
AJL leader Nurul Huda Babul and farmers’ leader Aminul Huda Tito of Bajitpur in Kishoreganj district were also killed in police firing during the mass movement for restoration of democracy against autocratic rule.
The martyrdom of Nur Hossain and others during the mass upsurge of late 90s expedited the anti-autocracy movement. In the face of the movement, the then autocratic ruler had to step down on December 6 in 1990. Since then, the day is being observed every year as the Shaheed Nur Hossain Day.
Different socio-cultural and professional organizations, as well as ruling Awami League, have chalked out elaborate programs to observe the day in a befitting manner. President Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina issued separate messages on the eve of the day.
President Abdul Hamid, in his message, said November 10 is an important day in the history of democratic movement in the country.
On this day, the city roads were reddened with the blood of Nur Hossain, he said, adding, “Today, I recall all the martyrs with respect, including Nur Hossain, who embraced martyrdom for the country’s democracy”.
In her message, Prime minister Sheikh Hasina said at last democracy was established through the sacrifice of many people, including Babul and Fattah.
She prayed for eternal peace of the departed souls of all martyrs, including Nur Hossain, and conveyed deep sympathy to the bereaved families.
Awami League’s programs to mark the day included placing of wreaths at Shaheed Nur Hossain Square at 8 am and offering of special prayers seeking eternal peace of the departed soul of the slain AJL leader.
In a separate statement today, Awami League General Secretary and Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader urged the people, including party units across the country and associate and like-minded organizations, to observe the “Shaheed Nur Hossain Day” in a befitting manner.
- 18 terrorists killed in Burkina Faso gunfight, cops say
- Transport strike called off
- Armed Forces Day today
- 21 large taxpayers pay TK 293cr
- Corruption, drug abuse, terrorism tied in single string: Iqbal
- Kolkata goes pink for pink-ball cricket
- Bangabandhu Amateur Futsal Cup begins
- NASA tests aquatic rover in Antarctica searching for life under i
- Finance Minister urges Turkey for more investment
- Police raid ‘weapons factory’ in Chottogram
- Suu Kyi to lead team to fight genocide accusation
- BD among top 4 countries in Digital Economy Growth
- Sri Lanka’s new president picks brother as PM
- Govt gives due importance to promote tennis: PM
- Spinners won`t become redundant in pink-ball cricket: Vettori
- Police constable killed, 3 injured in Cumilla road crash
- Fire at Gazipur cotton factory
- Woman killed by truck run over
- Onion cargo flight arrives at Shahjalal airport
- Sri Lankan PM Ranil Wickremesinghe to resign this week
- ‘Stealing train oil is an open secret’
- ‘Govt wants to bring back golden era of film industry’
- Kolkata test tickets for first 4-day sold out
- Rajdhani Super Market fire under control
- 765 arrested for throwing stones in Kashmir
- Father breastfeeding daughter goes viral
- President to attend CUET convocation on Dec 5
- Firefighters couldn`t reach to fire
- Saif ruled out from pink-ball Test
- Pink Ball stories
- All News »
- Humayun Ahmed’s first wife Gultekin married again
- 7 teams announced for Bangabandhu BPL
- Incredible! - ‘This picture is hand-painted!’
- Swechchhasebok League’s council today
- Fire breaks out at Rajdhani Super Market
- Building collapsed in Ctg gasline blast: 7 killed, 25 injured
- Case filed against Suu Kyi at Argentina court
- Messi on target as Argentina beat Brazil
- 7 bogies of Rangpur Express derail; fire at 3
- Graduation at 9!
- Myanmar genocide case hearing next month: UN court
- Tigers opt to bat
- Bangladeshi scientist discover `Chives` alternative to onion
- PM seeks larger UAE investment in Bangladesh
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft starts
- Dhaka rope Mashrafe, Tamim
- BPL Players’ draft: Who in which team
- Swechchhasebok League gets new President, GS
- Srijit’s talks on marriage with Mithila
- Writ seeking Tk 10 cr compensation for Abrar’s family
- International Men’s Day today
- Bangladesh now a beggar-free country; says Quader
- Fire burns Rangpur Express (Video)
- Sand-laden vessel sinks in Meghna being hit by launch: 3 missing
- Abrar murder: Arrest warrant issued against 4
- Malaysia to hire Bangladeshi workers at low cost
- Thousands devotees in Lokenath Ashram with luminaries
- Messi-led Argentina arrive in Israel for Uruguay friendly
- Amazon appeals $10B Pentagon contract won by Microsoft
- PSC, Ebtedayee terminal exams begin tomorrow