Shaheed Nur Hossain Day observed
Published: 01:25 PM, 10 November 2019 Updated: 04:51 PM, 10 November 2019
Various political and socio-cultural organizations including Bangladesh Awami League today observed Shaheed Nur Hossain Day recalling his outstanding contributions to anti-autocracy movement and restoration of democracy in the country.
On this day in 1987, Awami Jubo League (AJL) leader Nur Hossain, who imprinted his bare chest and back with the slogans “Free democracy” and “Down with autocracy”, embraced martyrdom in police firing during an anti-autocracy demonstration in city’s Zero Point, now known as Shaheed Nur Hossain Square.
AJL leader Nurul Huda Babul and farmers’ leader Aminul Huda Tito of Bajitpur in Kishoreganj district were also killed in police firing during the mass movement for restoration of democracy against autocratic rule.
The martyrdom of Nur Hossain and others during the mass upsurge of late 90s expedited the anti-autocracy movement. In the face of the movement, the then autocratic ruler had to step down on December 6 in 1990. Since then, the day is being observed every year as the Shaheed Nur Hossain Day.
President Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina issued separate messages on the eve of the day.
President Abdul Hamid, in his message, said November 10 is an important day in the history of the democratic movement in the country.
On this day, the city roads were reddened with the blood of Nur Hossain, he said, adding, “Today, I recall all the martyrs with respect, including Nur Hossain, who embraced martyrdom for the country’s democracy”.
In her message, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina said democracy was restored through the sacrifice of many people, including Nur Hossain, Babul and Fattah.
She prayed for eternal peace of the departed souls of all martyrs, including Nur Hossain, and convoyed deep sympathy to the bereaved families.
To mark the day, Bangladesh Awami League, led by its General Secretary and Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader, paid homage to Nur Hossain by placing a wreath at Shaheed Nur Hossain Square this morning.
Remembering Nur Hossain, the AL general secretary said the country’s democracy for which Nur Hossain shed blood is continuing.
AL Joint General Secretary Jahangir Kabir Nanak, Organizing Secretaries AFM Bahauddin Nasim and Khalid Mahmud Chowdhury, Cultural Affairs Secretary Ashim Kumar Ukil and Office Secretary Dr Abdus Sobhan Golap were present.
Besides, Bangladesh Workers party, Communist Party of Bangladesh, Biplobi Workers Party, Left Democratic Alliance, Bangladesher Samajtantrik Dal(BSD), Awami Jubo League, Chhatra League, Sechchhasevak League, Krishak League and Bangabandhu Sangskritik Jote placed wreaths at Nur Hossain Square
Paying glowing tributes to Nur Hossain, different socio-cultural and professional organizations, as well as ruling Awami League, have chalked out elaborate programs to observe the day in a befitting manner.
- Abid first to score Test and ODI hundreds on debut
- Bubly’s ‘Casino’ Challenge
- Foreign Friends of 1971
- Katabon Market catches fire
- Young found dead in Faridpur
- Tk 200 note to hit market soon
- Gazipur fan factory fire kills 10
- Govt working to make armed forces more modern: PM
- Hasan urges foreign journos to project Bangladesh dev
- Saifuddin desperate to make a comeback
- China`s state TV pulls live Arsenal game
- Road crash kills woman in Capital
- UCBL- Sylhet Range Police sign agreement
- Pepper-water mixture relieves throat sore in two minute
- Road accidents kill 2 in Mohanpur
- Why Mushfiqur included IPL auction?
- HC rules against illegal rail crossings
- We have good bilateral relations with India: Quader
- IUTA election in Islamic University
- Preparation afoot to observe victory day in Khulna tomorrow
- DMP detained 75 in anti-narcotic drive
- 6.8 magnitude earthquake in Philippines
- Buy 1 Saree get 1 kg onion free!
- JU adorned with Victory joy
- Motorcyclist killed in Rajshahi
- NZ volcano: Death toll rises to 16 with two still missing
- National Memorial prepared for Victory Day
- Shabnur returns!
- Dry weather likely over country
- 14 killed in Nepal bus crash
- All News »
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Andrew Kishore dies; what the next
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Myanmar state counselor titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Myanmar
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- Myanmar admits the army used excessive force on Rohingya
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Musician, vocalist Prithwi Raj passes away
- ‘Brutal massacre of Myanmar against Rohingya should be stopped’
- ‘Myanmar’s Rohingya repatriation promise a fraudulent act’
- At top court, Myanmar urged to `stop genocide of own people`
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- 500-yr-old eggs found unbroken in Chinese tomb
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- Myanmar army chief’s Facebook account suspended
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- Padma Bridge 2.7-km visible now
- Myanmar fails to provide evidence to defend genocide charge
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson dies, aged 61
- Cardi B returns to court over strip club brawl allegations