Shaheed Dr Milon Day today
Published: 12:36 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 02:04 PM, 27 November 2018
Nation observes Shaheed Dr. Milon Day across the country today, commemorating the 28th martyrdom anniversary of Dr. Shamsul Alam Khan Milon, the then joint secretary general of Bangladesh Medical Association (BMA).
Dr. Milon, who was also a teacher of Dhaka Medical College (DMC), was killed by the goons of military junta near the Teacher-Student Centre (TSC) of Dhaka University at the height of anti-autocracy movement on the day in 1990, reports DailyBangladesh.
The supreme sacrifice of Dr. Milon transformed the anti-autocracy movement into a mass upsurge that prompted the fall of the then autocratic regime paving the way for the restoration of democracy in the country.
On the eve of the day, President M Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina issued separate messages recalling the supreme sacrifice of Dr. Milon for the cause of restoration of democracy.
In his message, the president said Dr. Milon was “a bright star in the democratic movement of Bangladesh”.
Abdul Hamid said people would remember his sacrifice forever.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, in her message, paid rich tribute to the departed soul of Dr. Milon and others who were martyred in the struggle for democracy.
She said numerous democracy-loving people, including Juba League leader Nur Hossain, Nurul Huda, Babul, and Fattha, embraced martyrdom in the movement for restoring democracy.
The president and the PM prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul of Dr. Milon.
- Cash hoard found at al-Bashir`s home
- Smith leads RR win in first game as captain
- School campaign on health held in Bhola
- Nusrat Murder: Ruhul Amin placed on 5-day remand
- BNP bins media reports on Khaleda’s parole
- Bangladesh face UAE in Bangamata Gold Cup opener
- Rubana takes office as BGMEA’s first female president
- Holy Shab-e-Barat tomorrow
- 8 JSTU students expelled
- Nusrat ‘Hero’: Pulitzer winner US journalist
- 495 foreigners in prison: HM
- Zidane`s reasons for wanting to sign Pogba
- CID finds money transaction link to Nusrat murder
- Paddy-garlic’s companion crop
- Two-day BPO Summit begins tomorrow
- Hales takes break due to `personal reasons`
- Paranormal investigator Lorraine Warren passes away
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Hardik, Rahul fined for ‘sexist’ chat show remarks
- DMP bans fireworks on Shab-e-Barat
- Snakes force Liberian President Weah out of office
- Bumper mango output expected in Rangpur
- “If cops negligence found, they to be trialed”
- Ministry building under attack in Kabul
- PM flies to Brunei tomorrow
- Adele separates from husband
- PM orders to send Subir Nandi’s medical papers to Singapore
- New identity of Porimoni
- ‘Amar Pita Sheikh Mujib’ festival to be inaugurated today
- Dry weather likely over country
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Messi rested for United as Barca draws 0-0 at Huesca
- `First` 3D print of heart with human tissue, vessels unveiled
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- PBI searching 12 people involved in Nusrat murder
- Google takes on ‘Africa’s challenges’ in Ghana
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Three robbers lynched in Feni
- Tofail asks DUCSU leaders to work for all students
- 3 to die for killing RU prof Shafiul
- Nation set to celebrate Pahela Baishakh tomorrow
- Nusrat murder: ‘Shampa’ Poppy arrested
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- Swecchasebok League leader found dead in Savar
- Jute mill workers go on 96-hour strike
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- Mild quake jolts Ctg, Bandarban
- PM gives job to Nusrat’s brother
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held
- Pahela Baishakh being celebrated