Shah Alamgir laid to rest
Published: 08:45 PM, 28 February 2019 Updated: 10:05 PM, 28 February 2019
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
Eminent journalist and Press Institute of Bangladesh (PIB) Director General Shah Alamgir was laid to eternal rest at Uttara sector number 12 graveyard following a namaz-e-janaza after Asr prayers.
Alamgir passed away at the age of 62 while undergoing treatment at the city’s Combined Military Hospital (CMH) at 10.10 am this morning. On February 21, he was taken to CMH with different ailments while he was shifted to intensive care unit (ICU) on the next day.
In separate messages, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, President M Abdul Hamid, Jatiya Sangsad (JS) Speaker Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury, Awami League General Secretary and Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader, Information Minister Dr Hasan Mahmud, Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS) Managing Director and Chief Editor Abul Kalam Azad expressed profound shock at the death of Alamgir.
Family sources said, his body was taken to his family residence at Goran where his first namaz-e-janaza was held at East Goran Mecca Jame mosque after Johr prayers. Later, his body was taken to his workplace (PIB) where the second namaz-e-janaza was held.
His third namaz-e-janaza was held at Jatiya Press Club (JPC) here at 3pm.
Information Minister Dr Hasan Mahmud, Awami League (AL) Organizing Secretary Khalid Mahmud Chowdhury, the chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Information Ministry Hasanul Haq Inu, lawmaker Muhammad Shafiqur Rahman, AL Deputy Office Secretary Barrister Biplab Barua, Information Secretary Abdul Malek, Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS) Managing Director and Chief Editor Abul Kalam Azad, Prime Minister’s former Media Adviser Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury, JPC President Saiful Alam, General Secretary Farida Yasmin attended the janaza. AL Cultural Affairs Secretary Asim Kumar Ukil was present on the occasion.
Besides, Bangladesh Federal Union of Journalists president Mollah Jalal, secretary general Shaban Mahmood, Dhaka Union of Journalists (DUJ) president Abu Jafar Suriya, general secretary Sohel Haider Chowdhury, Dhaka Reporters’ Unity (DRU) president Ilias Hossain and general secretary Kabir Ahmed Khan, journalists, PIB colleagues, friends, relatives and admirers joined the funeral prayer, among others.
After offering munajat on the JPC premises, the body was taken to his residence at Uttara. A namaz-e-janaza was held at Baitul Nur mosque at Uttara sector 11 after Asr prayers and later he was laid to eternal rest at Uttara sector 12 graveyard.
DUJ has opened an obituary book for three days at the death of Alamgir. Besides, the DUJ will arrange a memorial meeting on Monday.
On July 7 in 2013, Shah Alamgir joined as PIB director general. The government has extended his tenure by one-year in 2018. He started his career with joining weekly Kishore Bangla, which is the first newspaper for children and juvenile in the subcontinent. Here he served as sub-editor from 1980 to 1984.
Later, he worked at Dainik Janata, Banglar Bani, Azad and Sangbad. He also served as joint news editor of daily Prothom Alo. Later, he acted as chief news editor of Channel I, head of news of Ekushey Television, director (news) of Jamuna Television and head of news of Masranga Television.
Alamgir also served as president and general secretary of Dhaka Union of Journalists (DUJ).
- FaceApp occupies 15 crore subscribers’ gallery!
- Humanity for animal !
- Bangladeshis among 285 immigrants detained on Iran boarder
- A woman: Dancer to detective
- Humayun Ahmed`s 7th death anniv today
- Bernard topped Bill Gates on Rich List
- ICC debarred Zimbabwe
- PM flies to London
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- PM flies to London tomorrow
- DC conference: Vast responsibility, directives
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- HC’s directive to dispose woman, child repression case in 180 day
- Navy got ‘National Fisheries Award’19 Gold medal
- Boat hats in Manikganj
- 8000 cattle ready for Qurbani market
- Shakib in Cricinfo’s XI; not Kohli
- Beauty of Tanguar Haor in Monsoon
- Illegal expats to return home paying TK 14 thou
- Two sisters drowned in Tangail
- UN chief concerns over Rohingya crisis
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- WASA’s 11 corrupt source found
- HC refuses to interfere on Minni`s remand order
- Indictment hearing in Barapukuria graft case deferred
- Man to die for killing wife in Rajshahi
- DU students block Shahabagh again
- 24 dead in arson attack at Japan studio
- GM Quader appointed JaPa chairman
- All News »
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Torrential rain marooned 30,000 people in Bandarban
- Stay alert to tackle flood: PM
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- Bangladesh makes significant stride in poverty reduction: UN
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- How to get HSC result
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday