Shah Alamgir laid to rest
Published: 08:45 PM, 28 February 2019 Updated: 10:05 PM, 28 February 2019
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
Eminent journalist and Press Institute of Bangladesh (PIB) Director General Shah Alamgir was laid to eternal rest at Uttara sector number 12 graveyard following a namaz-e-janaza after Asr prayers.
Alamgir passed away at the age of 62 while undergoing treatment at the city’s Combined Military Hospital (CMH) at 10.10 am this morning. On February 21, he was taken to CMH with different ailments while he was shifted to intensive care unit (ICU) on the next day.
In separate messages, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, President M Abdul Hamid, Jatiya Sangsad (JS) Speaker Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury, Awami League General Secretary and Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader, Information Minister Dr Hasan Mahmud, Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS) Managing Director and Chief Editor Abul Kalam Azad expressed profound shock at the death of Alamgir.
Family sources said, his body was taken to his family residence at Goran where his first namaz-e-janaza was held at East Goran Mecca Jame mosque after Johr prayers. Later, his body was taken to his workplace (PIB) where the second namaz-e-janaza was held.
His third namaz-e-janaza was held at Jatiya Press Club (JPC) here at 3pm.
Information Minister Dr Hasan Mahmud, Awami League (AL) Organizing Secretary Khalid Mahmud Chowdhury, the chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Information Ministry Hasanul Haq Inu, lawmaker Muhammad Shafiqur Rahman, AL Deputy Office Secretary Barrister Biplab Barua, Information Secretary Abdul Malek, Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS) Managing Director and Chief Editor Abul Kalam Azad, Prime Minister’s former Media Adviser Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury, JPC President Saiful Alam, General Secretary Farida Yasmin attended the janaza. AL Cultural Affairs Secretary Asim Kumar Ukil was present on the occasion.
Besides, Bangladesh Federal Union of Journalists president Mollah Jalal, secretary general Shaban Mahmood, Dhaka Union of Journalists (DUJ) president Abu Jafar Suriya, general secretary Sohel Haider Chowdhury, Dhaka Reporters’ Unity (DRU) president Ilias Hossain and general secretary Kabir Ahmed Khan, journalists, PIB colleagues, friends, relatives and admirers joined the funeral prayer, among others.
After offering munajat on the JPC premises, the body was taken to his residence at Uttara. A namaz-e-janaza was held at Baitul Nur mosque at Uttara sector 11 after Asr prayers and later he was laid to eternal rest at Uttara sector 12 graveyard.
DUJ has opened an obituary book for three days at the death of Alamgir. Besides, the DUJ will arrange a memorial meeting on Monday.
On July 7 in 2013, Shah Alamgir joined as PIB director general. The government has extended his tenure by one-year in 2018. He started his career with joining weekly Kishore Bangla, which is the first newspaper for children and juvenile in the subcontinent. Here he served as sub-editor from 1980 to 1984.
Later, he worked at Dainik Janata, Banglar Bani, Azad and Sangbad. He also served as joint news editor of daily Prothom Alo. Later, he acted as chief news editor of Channel I, head of news of Ekushey Television, director (news) of Jamuna Television and head of news of Masranga Television.
Alamgir also served as president and general secretary of Dhaka Union of Journalists (DUJ).
- Coronavirus scary: Samsung`s factory closed
- Today’s sports on TV
- Bus kills 9 months’ kid with mum
- Coronavirus Global survey: 2363 died, 78 thousand infected
- Father shots lightning bird, son takes responsibility to cure
- AL leader shot dead in Bandarban
- 2 drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Teenager electrocuted in Chakaria
- Top terrorist Zisan’s close aide Shakil held
- Worshiping Trump’s idol!
- FBCCI favor trade with China continues
- Naeem credits Taijul for his success
- ‘Very enthusiastic people aggravating coronavirus’
- Harsh condition of healthcare in Sarankhola
- Elderly man killed in Noakhali road accident
- Cristiano Ronaldo set to make 1,000th
- Shakib Khan’s new actress Salwa!
- Elderly man killed in tractor-nachimon collision
- Nirbhaya case convicts to be hanged on March 3
- Bangladesh emerges as self-dignified country under Sheikh Hasina
- Road reformed with kerosene spray!
- Daulatdia brothel gets namaz-e-janaza for third time
- Sammy to receive honorary citizenship of Pakistan
- Schoolgirl takes poison for lover’s weeding
- Sri Lanka win by 1 wicket in vacillate 1st ODI
- Ryanair boss criticized for Muslim profiling comments
- Maulana Mehmood Madani to visit Dhaka
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangabandhu Book Corner for all primary schools
- Pension within 3-day of bill submission
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Good news to honey farmers
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire
- Padma Bridge’s 25th span to be installed on Language Day
- Corona in Singapore: Another Bangladeshi identified