Shadman falls as Bangladesh reach 175/4 at tea
Published: 02:45 PM, 30 November 2018 Updated: 02:45 PM, 30 November 2018
Shadman Islam, left-handed debutant of Bangladesh, struck a solid 76 off 199 to propel Bangladesh to 176 for four at the tea break on the first day of Dhaka Test against the tourists West Indies. But, the 23-year-old opener failed to register a ton in debut.
The left-hander failed to face a delivery of Devendra Bishoo which was bowled round the wicket. Shadman played down the wrong line and failed to connect the ball. Before Shadman, Bangladesh lost Mohammad Mithun who added 29 runs on the board. He was the first victim of Devendra Bishoo.
In the first session of the match, Bangladesh added 87 losing the wickets of Soumya Sarkar and Mominul Haque. While Soumya got dismissed off a delivery of Roston Chase, Mominul lost his wicket just one delivery before lunch.
Before getting dismissed off a short delivery of Kemar Roach, Mominul was making Bangladesh fan hopeful for a successful first session, but disappointed to maintain the good start as he fell on 29 off 46 deliveries.
Earlier, Shakib Al Hasan won the toss and elected to bat first. Shadman Islam, the debutant opener, started the inning for Bangladesh with Soumya Sarkar. They added 42 on the board before Soumya played a loose shot off a Roston Chase delivery. After the lean performance in Chattogram, Soumya failed to grab the chance in Dhaka after being dismissed on 19.
Bangladesh came into this match with two changes to the playing XI as they dropped Imrul Kayes and Mustafizur Rahman. While Imrul was ruled out for injury and 23-year-old opener Shadman Islam replaced him, Mustafizur is overlooked by the team management to make a way for Liton Das.
The Tigers made history heading into this Test without a frontline seamer for the first time. To take the full advantage of the typical Dhaka wicket, they have gone for an all-spin attack.
West Indies made one change keeping Shannon Gabriel out of the playing XI as he suspended for his demerit points reaching to five. They have included right-arm seamer Shermon Lewis as the replacement for him.
Bangladesh playing XI: Shadman Islam, Soumya Sarkar, Mominul Haque, Mohammad Mithun, Shakib Al Hasan (capt), Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah, Liton Das (wk), Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Taijul Islam and Nayeem Hasan.
West Indies playing XI: Kraigg Brathwaite (capt), Devendra Bishoo, Kieran Powell, Roston Chase, Shai Hope, Shane Dowrich, Sunil Ambris, Shimron Hetmyer, Jomel Warrican, Kemar Roach and Shermon Lewis.
- Student organisations remain at variance over DUCSU polls
- Saudi crown prince reaches Pakistan amid tension
- Shanaya Kapoor takes first step in Bollywood
- `India shouldn`t play against Pakistan in WC 2019`
- Maqbul Ahmed resigns from Jamaat
- Lights in Hili
- Fuel price hike cause UK’s airline end
- Collective efforts need to mitigate urban poverty
- `2000 edu institutions to be brought under MPO soon`
- Nirab murder: accused arrested
- Hearing on Jamaat’s appeal soon: AG
- Bogura AL President Momtaz Uddin dies
- Mahmudullah, Boult fined by ICC
- PM at IDEX inaugural in Abu Dhabi
- Sightly lake fascinates visitors
- RU to observe Dr Zoha day tomorrow
- Messi scores one penalty out of two in win
- Ebola kills nearly 100 children
- CORR fall not at expected level yet: ACC Chm
- School banking to create savings habit
- Japan PM nominated Trump for Nobel
- Bangladeshi killed in Saudi Arabia road crash
- Manna’s 11th death anniv today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- ‘All parties not taking part in UZ polls disappointing’
- 32 grenades recovered in Khulna
- ‘Sagar-Runi’ Murder report delay for 63rd time
- Trump demands Europe take in 800 ISIS fighters
- Pulse cultivation gaining popularity among Manikganj farmers
- Fear grips Kashmiris living in India
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’