Severe flood forces thousands to flee homes in New Zealand
Published: 01:44 PM, 5 February 2020 Updated: 01:45 PM, 5 February 2020
Thousands of residents in New Zealand's South Island have fleed their homes on Wednesday due to severe flooding. The flood also left hundreds of tourists stranded at the remote Milford Sound.
The Southland region declared a state of emergency after being deluged with more than 1,000 millimetres (39 inches) of rainfall in 60 hours, triggering landslides on large roads and causing rivers to burst their banks.
Authorities told residents in the low-lying areas of Gore and Mataura to evacuate immediately early on Wednesday as floodwaters in the Mataura river peaked, warning those further downstream in Wyndham to prepare to leave.
"We have issued notices to evacuate and to prepare to evacuate to 6,000 people across the region," an Emergency Management Southland (EMS) spokeswoman told AFP news agency.
Residents were advised to grab medication, clothing and identification documents, then head to higher ground.
Power to affected areas was cut off as a precaution and evacuation centres were set up in local churches and schools.
An image posted online from Gore in Southland showed a river overflowing and threatening to flood several homes.
Floodwaters washed away sections of the only road to Milford Sound, a popular hiking spot for international tourists, and EMS said almost 200 people were being airlifted to nearby Te Anau.
"The tourists ... have been well catered for," it said, adding, "Morale has been high amongst the visitors and staff, as they received regular briefings and have been in contact with friends and family."
Only two minor injuries have been reported after a landslide hit a hut on the Routeburn walking track with both people receiving treatment at the scene.
- US coronavirus death toll surpasses 2,000
- Two hrs bank from today
- Sri Lanka reports first coronavirus death
- Nusrat helps to fight corona
- Relief distributed by UNO among poor people in Jhalokati
- ‘City of Deaths’ Italy: Cause and analysis
- Corona death climbs to 30,879, cases over .66m
- Bank will be open for 2hrs from Sunday
- UNO stands by poor with food-money
- Shah Rukh returning to silver screen with Alia
- BCB announces Tk 30,000 for each non-contracted DPL players
- Finnish citizen becomes senseless falling from rickshaw in Sylhet
- Coronavirus cases in US increasing rapidly
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- 5 Bangladeshis test coronavirus positive in Germany
- HSC candidate under isolation in Madaripur
- Traffic police closed over misconduct with rickshaw puller
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- Be professional: IGP to police
- Global coronavirus deaths top 28500
- Deer roaming on empty streets
- DMP to distribute food 2,500 destitute people daily
- Youth died at isolation not affected by coronavirus
- Adviser spotted running away after Boris’s coronavirus diagnosis
- NU postpones all exams
- WHO testing coronavirus drugs
- Ban on all flights extended till Apr 7
- Natore hat sees huge crowd amid coronavirus epidemic
- 24 Bangladeshis died of coronavirus globally
- Gazipur plastic factory fire doused
- All News »
- 40 more building under ‘lockdown’ in Mirpur
- Coronavirus: 147 new deaths reported in a hour, infected 3,45,289 (update list)
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 13,000
- Corona death surging to 19000
- Hantavirus: All you need to know
- Coronarvirus infection climbed to .38 million globally (update list)
- Former Real president dies from coronavirus
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- All govt-private institutions closed until April 4
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- Japan claims to develop COVID-19 vaccine
- One more dies of coronavirus in Bangladesh
- Coronavirus affected nurse kills herself ‘to protect others’
- Italy records 793 deaths in a day
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Shwapna Bhowmick developed 4 lakh PPE for doctors-nurses
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- Gopalganj road crashes kill 2 motorcyclists, injure 26
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 5 in country
- 3 doctors die of Corona in Philippines
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 17,451
- Nationwide shops declared shut till Mar 31
- Remedy for coronavirus found!
- Spain sees record 514 deaths in one day
- Now man dies from ‘hantavirus’ in China, 32 tested positive
- Sanitizers free of cost in Bangladesh!
- Italy reports 683 more coronavirus deaths
- India to go into full lockdown from midnight
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive