Senior ASP dies at Dhaka hospital after assault by hospital staff...

Dhaka, Tuesday   26 January 2021

Senior ASP dies at Dhaka hospital after ‘assault by hospital staff’

 Staff Correspondent

 Published: 11:59 AM, 10 November 2020   Updated: 12:15 PM, 10 November 2020

Anisul Karim Shipon, Senior Assistant Superintendent of Police, was eaten to death at Mind Aid Hospital in Adabar in the capital. Police have arrested 6 people including the hospital manager in the incident.

Senior ASP Anisul Karim, a resident of Gazipur Kapasia, was working in Barisal Metropolitan Police (BMP).

“Anis was suffering from some mental problems. He was taken to Mind Aid Hospital on Monday afternoon,” said his brother Rezaul, alleging: “While filling the admission form at the counter, some employees took him to the second floor. After a while, I received the news that he became unconscious. From there, he was rushed to the National Heart Institute where doctors declared him dead.”

Adabar police collected CCTV footage from the hospital on suspicion of Anis’ death. CCTV footage showed — at around 11:55 pm, police official Anisul Karim was dragged into a room where six employees of the hospital threw him on the ground and grabbed him. Then two more employees in blue robes grabbed his leg. Two employees hit his head with elbows.

At the time, the hospital manager Arif Mahmud was standing next to them. Anisul’s hand was later tied with a piece of blue cloth. After a while, he lost consciousness. 

“Anisul had blood pressure and heart disease. But neither of these was fatal. He died after being beaten by the hospital staff,” Rezaul Karim alleged.

Mrityunjay Dey, an additional deputy commissioner of the Tejgaon division of the DMP, said CCTV footage of the hospital had been taken. “Six officers and employees have been detained for questioning. Anisul’s body is being autopsied,” he said.

Mind Aid Hospital Coordinator Md. Imran said the patient was “behaving erratically” after being brought to the hospital ‍and started to “beat others”. He was taken to that room to calm him down. 

When asked why Anis was beaten – Imran did not give any answer.