Security tightens in Dhaka street, police-army on field
Published: 01:28 PM, 26 March 2020
Police are working to prevent public gatherings and ensuring that people do not go out unnecessarily to prevent the coronavirus that is spread worldwide. The army is also on the field.
Police have taken control of all areas of Dhaka city since Thursday morning. People are being questioned by the police if anyone goes out on the street without emergency.
However, emergency services, including newspapers, remain unaffected.
Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Commissioner Shafiqul Islam told the media that police are working to ensure that nobody could go outside unless an emergency. “But those who need to go out urgently can go without being feared.”
Police sources said police officers had met with army officers at various phases over the situation. Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Javed Patwari directed the officers through a video conference on Wednesday. He later told to ensure that people cannot go out on the streets from Thursday.
Meanwhile, the armed forces have started working to maintain social distance from Tuesday. Armed forces are patrolling the streets. They are going to different areas to ensure the quarantine of citizens.
Noted that the death toll from the pandemic coronavirus has risen to 21,302. The number of affected is 472,037, of them - 114,714 recovered after treatment. The virus has spread to 198 countries and regions of the world.
In Bangladesh, five lost lives over coronavirus with 39 confirmed cases and seven people recovered after treatment.
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- 170 families on voluntary lockdown in Dinajpur
- Coronavirus death toll tops 78,000
- Japan declares state of emergency amid coronavirus
- Lockdown to be extended in India
- Jagdal UP in Magura announced lockdown
- ‘Majed’s death sentence after completing formalities’
- Narsingdi coronavirus infected youth in isolation
- Wages to be paid by April 16: Commerce Minister
- RAB fined 50 for reasonless roaming in capital
- Edu institutions to remain closed till Eid holidays
- 3 houses under lockdown in Lakshmipur
- Trains to turn into hospitals in India
- 3 held with 17-kg weed in Brahmanbaria
- Farmer electrocuted to death in Mymensingh
- Youth killed in Dinajpur road crash
- IPL can hold in October-November!
- MP of Narsingdi distributes food items among 1,500 families
- 2 youths provide 7 days’ food to 150
- Ferdous living with kids separately from wife
- District council stands by 5000 families in Gazipur
- 16 samples collected from Kurigram
- FIFA U20 Women`s World Cup postponed
- UP member held with govt reliefs in Natore
- ‘Steps taken to compensate poultry farmers’
- Govt to buy 17 lakh tonnes Boro paddy-rice
- Spain reports 743 new coronavirus deaths in 20 hours
- Voluntary lockdown in Akhaura
- Mahmudullah becomes father of 2nd boy
- Coronavirus death toll tops 75,000
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Coronavirus: New symptom heart attack
- Huawei records $123 billion revenue growth in 2019
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- US experienced highest death record in a day
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus