Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
Published: 03:56 PM, 13 February 2020 Updated: 04:00 PM, 13 February 2020
Saudi Arabia’s different state-owned international companies including Saudi Aramco, ACWA Power, Honey and Health, Engineering Dimension Com, Aljomaih Energy and Water Company, Albwani Water and Power, and the Red Sea Gateway Terminal (RSGT); are keen to invest $30 billion in various potential business sectors in Bangladesh, reports Arab News according to Bangladeshi officials.
On the first day of a two-day Joint Economy Council meeting in Dhaka, Bangladesh, a 40 members delegation—led by Saudi Deputy Minister for International Affairs Mahir Al-Gassin and including representatives from seven of the Kingdom’s largest conglomerates held a discussion with Bangladeshi side led by Economic Relations Division (ERD) Secretary Monowar Ahmed on Wednesday. It includes six technical talks, the concerned sources informed. In the meeting, discussion has also been held on the important issues like welfare of Bangladeshi workers in the Kingdom and resolving passport issues that is hanged over the years, the sources also confirmed.
Regarding the meeting, Faisal Zahur, senior assistant chief of ERD’s Middle East wing, told the media that the Saudi delegation was analyzing a draft agreement that would be ready to sign on Thursday.
“The JEC meeting was heavily dominated by investment issues mainly in the power and energy sector of Bangladesh. We have prepared a draft agreement which will be inked on Thursday by both sides,” he said, adding that other matters pertaining to the welfare of Bangladeshi workers in the Kingdom were also discussed.
“The Saudi authorities were asked to resolve passport issues for Bangladeshi migrants who are facing trouble in the Kingdom due to expired passports,” Zahur said, adding that while investments worth $30 billion were on the charts, the amount could be more.
“Saudi investors are ready to invest any amount in Bangladesh but it depends on how much the country can consume,” he said.
Mohammad Sirazul Islam, executive chairman of the Bangladesh Investment Development Authority (BIDA), said that Saudi Arabia is an ideal partner. We are very keen to have Saudi investors here in Bangladesh because they have huge investment capacity. Our focus is to bring in large investors who will invest several hundred million or billion (dollars).”
Islam added that discussion on both of the government-to-business and business-to-business investments had been done on Wednesday, with most of the investment in the private sector tilting towards joint ventures.
“Engineering Dimensions, a giant transformer producer in the Kingdom, has already started a joint venture with a Bangladeshi state-owned company,” he said. “Now, discussions are underway about tax benefits and other relevant issues, which are expected to be settled very soon.”
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus
- Harassment in IEDCR hotline
- Govt for increase crop production to cope with coronavirus
- LGRD Minister helps 25,000 families in Cumilla
- Dhaka South Jubo League distributes food to 400 families
- 2 drug dealers arrested with 17-kg weeds
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Golfer Siddikur’s father passes away
- UNO walks to 212 beggars’ huts with food
- Madhupur youth tested negative for Coronavirus
- Sani asks Shakib about his silence
- Coronavirus: First-class cricketers donate 15-day salary
- DU to remain closed till Apr 11, Noboborsho programs postponed
- Primary class on Sangsad TV begins April 5
- Australia scientists begin test of potential COVID-19 vaccines
- Share market closed till April 11
- Request for 1yr VAT suspension in garment industry
- Britain, France and Germany send medical aid to Iran
- 8 Habiganj people test negative for coronavirus
- Holiday bank hour extended
- Youth shot dead by BSF along Thakurgaon border
- 2 corona deaths reported in Qatar are Bangladeshi
- Does mosquito spread COVID-19?
- 18 Bangladeshi die of coronavirus in NY 24 hrs
- Night temperature may rise by 1-2°C
- Law minister condoles death of Shamsur Rahman
- Singer Adam Schlesinger dies from coronavirus
- Coronavirus transforms before revealing symptoms: Study
- 2 arrested in Gazipur for spreading coronavirus rumors
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- School holiday draws to Eid
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- First royal dies of coronavirus
- Dogs will detect Covid-19!
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- Coronavirus death toll surges 21,000
- Security tightens in Dhaka street, police-army on field
- BGMEA decides to close all factories
- DSCC to provide one-month meal for 50,000 homeless
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- England plans to return field by early May
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- 101 yrs old Italian leaves hospital after healing from covid-19