Saraswati Puja being celebrated
Published: 11:47 AM, 30 January 2020
Saraswati Puja, worshiping the goddess of knowledge, music, art and culture, and one of the main religious festivals of the Hindu community, is being celebrated across the country on Thursday like elsewhere in the world amid much enthusiasm, festivity and religious fervor.
President M Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, and Speaker Dr. Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury, in separate messages, greeted the members of the Hindu community on the occasion of the Saraswati Puja.
Wishing all the success of the Saraswati Puja Festival, the President said in a greeting message that Saraswati Puja is a very popular religious festival in Bangladesh. Attending this festival, regardless of religion, caste and community, added different dimensions to the country’s secular consciousness and traditions. He urged all to contribute from their respective positions to further strengthen the tradition of worship.
Saraswati Puja or Basant Panchami falls on the fifth day of the Bengali month of Maagh each year when Hindus worship goddess Saraswati to mark the coming of spring.
According to the Hindu faith, goddess Saraswati represents power, creativity, and inspiration and presents herself when the weather is pleasant and nature is in its full grandeur.
Depicted as a graceful woman with a crescent moon adorning her brow, she is shown riding a swan or a peacock or is seated on a lotus flower.
Traditionally children are introduced to education and learning on the day of Saraswati Puja and this ritual is called “Hatekhori”. Toddlers are usually given a slate and chalk to scribble with on an auspicious day.
Major Hindu temples, schools, colleges, universities and other educational institutions stage the festival with traditional gaiety and religious fervor.
The students, in particular, seek blessings of goddess Saraswati in their pursuit of knowledge, art, music and culture.
Like every year, the Saraswati Puja, worshiping the goddess of knowledge, music, art and culture, has been organized at Jagannath Hall in Dhaka University.
The ritual started at 8:00 am and offering “Anjali” was began at 9:00 am. The “Arti” ceremony will be held at 6:00 pm. Thereafter, cultural events will be held.
While visiting the University area, it was seen that more than 70 pavilions have been constructed based on ideas and themes in different departments and institutes of the university.
Apart from a centrally organized worship in the initiative of Hall Administration at Jagannath Hall, the festival will have a special attraction of 32-feet Saraswati idol built by Fine Arts was set up in the middle of the pond at DU.
Apart from this, the National Parliament has organized worship at Rajdhani school ground in Manik Mia Avenue. Speaker Dr. Shirin Sharmin Chowdhury will be the chief guest at the event.
- 60,000 Gazipur families get 15-day food
- 190 at home quarantine, 10 released
- Free medical campaign by doctor couple in Shariatpur
- Tabligh Jamaat Amir Maulana Saad infected with coronavirus!
- 7 doctors to provide 24-hour online medical service
- Food aid for poor in Rupganj
- Rice selling at Tk 10 starts Sunday
- 24 hrs curfew issued in Mecca-Medina
- News of ‘exempting home rent’ is rumor
- AFC postpones 2027 Asian Cup host selection
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- City turns to ‘ghost’ town!
- UNO donates one-month salary and allowance to poor
- Real Madrid legend Benito passes away
- Child Shara donates tiffin money to poor
- Ban on mask and sanitizer export lifted
- COVID-19 death toll in Spain surges 10,000
- Coronavirus death toll in US crosses 5,113
- PM asks govt officials, employees to use mask
- Bengali drama on Coronavirus issue
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus
- Harassment in IEDCR hotline
- Govt for increase crop production to cope with coronavirus
- LGRD Minister helps 25,000 families in Cumilla
- Dhaka South Jubo League distributes food to 400 families
- 2 drug dealers arrested with 17-kg weeds
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Golfer Siddikur’s father passes away
- UNO walks to 212 beggars’ huts with food
- Madhupur youth tested negative for Coronavirus
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- School holiday draws to Eid
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium
- First royal dies of coronavirus
- Dogs will detect Covid-19!
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- Coronavirus death toll surges 21,000
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- England plans to return field by early May
- DSCC to provide one-month meal for 50,000 homeless
- BGMEA decides to close all factories
- Security tightens in Dhaka street, police-army on field
- 101 yrs old Italian leaves hospital after healing from covid-19
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51