Sania Mirza and Shoaib Malik expecting first child
Published: 11:36 AM, 24 April 2018
Shoaib Malik and Sania Mirza
Grand Slam-winning Indian tennis player Sania Mirza and former Pakistan cricket captain Shoaib Malik are expecting their first child.
Mirza, 31, posted a picture on Twitter of a family wardrobe design with three sections - one with a shirt which read Mirza, the second had a children’s romper hanging which read Mirza-Malik, and the third with a shirt reading Malik.
According to a press release by the couple`s media manager, the two are `really excited to enter the new phase of their lives.`
"We have been thinking about it for a while and look forward to our journey as parents InshaAllah .. when we found out we were ecstatic, needless to say, our families are overwhelmed and super happy and we wanted to share this amazing news with all our fans and well-wishers,” said Shoaib.
Sania also expressed her joy at beginning her journey as a parent.
“We are soon to become parents. Having thought about it for a while, we both felt right now is the correct time to start a family," said the Grand Slam-winning star.
"We are very excited to enter this new phase of our lives and look forward to our journey as parents,” she said.
Sania said earlier this month that any child she had would bear the Mirza-Malik surname and that Shoaib wanted a daughter.
Sania Mirza has won six Grand Slam doubles titles, including the 2015 Wimbledon ladies` doubles with Martina Hingis. She has not yet said if she will return to action after her pregnancy.
Her most recent appearance on the WTA Tour came at the China Open in Beijing in September. She has not played since because of a knee injury.
In 2005, she became the first Indian player to win a WTA tournament singles title and in 2015 the first Indian woman to top the world doubles rankings.
She is one of the biggest stars in Indian sport and has almost 25m followers combined on her Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.
Malik, 36, played 35 Tests for Pakistan between 2001 and 2015.
The pair married in April 2010 and are one of South Asia`s highest-profile couples.
- Afghanistan mosque bombing kills 62
- Nadeem joins India squad for Ranchi Test
- Sheikh Russel’s 56th birthday observed
- Death sentence for humiliation of the Holy Quran
- Turkey-led strikes kill 14 civilians in northeast Syria
- Workshop on IT awareness for female students held at DU
- Aligarh University Prof meets DU VC
- KUET admission test held peacefully
- At least 28 killed in Afghan mosque blast
- Semolina’s rasmalai!
- NASA astronauts Koch and Meir in all-women spacewalk
- Education programs runing on tide
- UN welcomes Turkey`s ceasefire decision
- FM calls upon German investment in Bangladesh
- Surge success of Urmi
- Bangladesh maintains all-win run beating Faroe Islands 3-1
- 6 foods that damaging your kidneys
- Bangabandhu Film City will be world class: Hasan
- NCL coaches terminated for not playing leg spinner
- New labor laws in Qatar benefiting migrant workers
- Saif hits double ton, Imrul 93
- 17 fishermen jailed for catching hilsa
- Artist Kalidas Karmakar dies
- 35 arrested in anti-drug drive
- Culvert, the last reliance
- 2 children drown in Narail
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh
- Tahsan not ‘celebrating’ Birthday...
- Singapore beat Scotland in T20 WC qualifiers
- US imposes record $7.5 billion tariffs on European goods
- All News »
- Father killed child Tuhin, claim police
- Unseen ‘Miss World Bangladesh’ Rafah
- Child Tuhin murder: 2 relatives give statement
- Abrar murder: First confession by Ifti
- Bangla TV to air Bangladesh-India match
- Zion gives 2nd confessional statement in Abrar murder case
- Brutality upon child Tuhin
- Sabila Nur gets married this month
- PM urges UGC not to go beyond rules
- Brutal murder of child: Case filed against 10
- Sunny, Al Amin recalled for India T20 series
- 35 pilgrims killed as bus crashes in Saudia Arabia
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- Padma Bridge work progress 84 pc
- 3 including Indian national win Nobel Prize in Economics
- Abrar murder: Amit, Toha on 5-day remand
- Bangladesh becomes role model in disaster management: PM
- Japan keen to expand existing bilateral ties: Envoy
- Gold bars worth Tk 6.5cr recovered in Shah Amanat
- The king who rose from the dead
- The female Pharaoh who ruled by wearing false beards
- Jubo League age decision at Ganabhaban: Quader
- Moushumi assaulted at BFDC
- BUET students’ call off protests
- MBBS admission test today
- PM for quick disposal of Abrar murder case
- Woman given ‘Talaq’ for alcohol, short dress!
- 2 pedestrians die after being hit by bus
- Sourav Ganguly set to be president of BCCI
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh