Sania Mirza and Shoaib Malik expecting first child
Published: 11:36 AM, 24 April 2018
Shoaib Malik and Sania Mirza
Grand Slam-winning Indian tennis player Sania Mirza and former Pakistan cricket captain Shoaib Malik are expecting their first child.
Mirza, 31, posted a picture on Twitter of a family wardrobe design with three sections - one with a shirt which read Mirza, the second had a children’s romper hanging which read Mirza-Malik, and the third with a shirt reading Malik.
According to a press release by the couple`s media manager, the two are `really excited to enter the new phase of their lives.`
"We have been thinking about it for a while and look forward to our journey as parents InshaAllah .. when we found out we were ecstatic, needless to say, our families are overwhelmed and super happy and we wanted to share this amazing news with all our fans and well-wishers,” said Shoaib.
Sania also expressed her joy at beginning her journey as a parent.
“We are soon to become parents. Having thought about it for a while, we both felt right now is the correct time to start a family," said the Grand Slam-winning star.
"We are very excited to enter this new phase of our lives and look forward to our journey as parents,” she said.
Sania said earlier this month that any child she had would bear the Mirza-Malik surname and that Shoaib wanted a daughter.
Sania Mirza has won six Grand Slam doubles titles, including the 2015 Wimbledon ladies` doubles with Martina Hingis. She has not yet said if she will return to action after her pregnancy.
Her most recent appearance on the WTA Tour came at the China Open in Beijing in September. She has not played since because of a knee injury.
In 2005, she became the first Indian player to win a WTA tournament singles title and in 2015 the first Indian woman to top the world doubles rankings.
She is one of the biggest stars in Indian sport and has almost 25m followers combined on her Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.
Malik, 36, played 35 Tests for Pakistan between 2001 and 2015.
The pair married in April 2010 and are one of South Asia`s highest-profile couples.
- Get driving license after eye and dope test: HC
- Rohingya wants to return after ensuring recognition
- Warner hits ton, Australia heading for big total
- Novoair increases flights to Jashore
- US confirms drone was shot down by Iranian missile
- Soumya makes brekthough for Bangladesh
- National Vitamin ‘A’ plus campaign on June 22
- Rohingyas’ ardor to return home on refugee day
- Prisoner dies in Kashimpur jail
- ‘Dhaka Attack’s villain Taskeen got married
- Rana`s bail stay till July 1
- Provide Tk 50 within 2 months to Rajib’s family: HC
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- 9 to die for killing C’nawabganj Jubo League leader
- Rain, thundershowers likely to continue
- Australia to bat first against Bangladesh
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- ‘Refugee Day’ observed with 1.1m Rohingyas burden
- Google Doodle celebrates Sufia Kamal’s birth anniv
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- Tigers look for Cardiff 2005 encore in Nottingham
- WC: Bangladesh meets Australia today
- Robber killed in Fatullah gunfight
- Youth killed in Mohammadpur gunfight
- Sohel Taj’s nephew rescued
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Ex-hockey captain Ibrahim Saber passes away
- Bangladeshis stuck off Tunisia disembark
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- England wins beating Windies
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- Probe report submission deferred again
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- Suspect pleads not guilty to all 92 charges