Sanguinary clashes in Ijtema ground now remain calm

1 killed, 200 injured in factional clash

Sanguinary clashes in Ijtema ground now remain calm

 Staff Correspondent :: staff-correspondent

 Published: 05:54 PM, 1 December 2018   Updated: 06:52 PM, 1 December 2018

Daily Bangladesh Desk

Daily Bangladesh Desk

One person was killed in a clash between two groups of Tabligh Jamaat at Ijtema ground in Tongi, Gazipur. About two hundred people were injured. The situation now remains calm with the intervention of law enforcers. Traffic movement has started.

The clash between the two parties of Tabligh Jamaat started on Saturday morning. In the afternoon, the situation has started to be normal.

Meanwhile, the person that was killed in the clash was identified as Ismail Mondol (70). He is the son of Khalil Mondal of Milkipara of Munshiganj.

Gazipur Metropolitan Detective Branch Inspector AKM Kawsar Chowdhury confirmed the matter to Daily Bangladesh that 20 of the injured were in critical condition.

It is learned that the first phase of the Bishwa Ijtema held in January in the conflict between the leaders of Tabligh Jamaat was suspended last month. After the Election Commission issued a directive on Friday, prohibiting all gatherings in Tongi’s Ijtema field before the December 30 parliamentary polls. 

Deoband wing Maulana Zubayer's followers occupied the Ijtema ground a few days ago and took shelter in nearby areas after the followers of Maulana Mohammad Saad Kandhalvi of Delhi Markaj announced to held Ijtema by force for five days. In this situation, the followers of Maulana Saad could not enter the ground on Friday and took shelter in nearby Mosque.

Hundreds of followers from Dhaka started to go to Tongi on early morning and the situation bursts. As a result, the vehicular movement on the western side of the busy Airport Road remained halted from Airport Crossing to Abdullahpur since Saturday morning following a clash between two factions of Tabligh Jamaat.

Saad Kandhalvi, who came to Akhri Munajat for the last few years, came to Dhaka and faced opposition protests. Ultimately, he had to leave Dhaka without taking part in Ijtema under such situation. 

However, there is a dispute going on for a year in the Kakrail Mosque, the main center of Tabligh Jamaat. In April, there was a rift between the followers of two parties.

In this conflict, the followers of Saad announces to held the Ijtema by force from November 30 to December 4 and the first phase of the Bishwa Ijtema on January 11-13. On the other hand, Deoband followers announce to held the Ijtema by force from December 7-11 and the first phase of the Bishwa Ijtema on January 18-20.

As a result, tensions get new dimensions when the two parties announce the Ijtema separately. In this situation, the first phase of Bishwa Ijtema was postponed from a meeting held on November 16 under the chairmanship of Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal.

It was decided in the meeting that a six-member delegation set up a date for the Bishwa Ijtema through a compromise between the two parties of Tabligh Jamaat. The new date will be announced when the two parties come to the negotiation. 

But since the followers of Saad took the procession on the Ijtema ground from November 30 and started to guard all the gates of the Ijtema field on the Turag coast. 

In this situation, Saad followers demanded the Prime Minister’s intervention by holding a press conference at Dhaka Reporters Unity on November 27. On the other hand, Zubayer followers, on November 24, issued a letter to the EC to express their ‘alarming deterioration’ status in law and order situation at Tongi Ijtema ground and take urgent action.

Based on this, EC joint secretary Farhad Ahmad Khan gave the directive to Gazipur metropolitan police commissioner, deputy commissioner, and police superintendent, to prohibit any such event of Tabligh Jamaat in Tongi before the December 30 vote.