Salma Hayek calls Weinstein her ‘monster’
Published: 12:32 PM, 21 December 2017
Mexican-born actress Salma Hayek has joined the ranks of Hollywood women accusing movie producer Harvey Weinstein of sexual misconduct, calling him a “monster” in an article published by the New York Times on Tuesday.
“For years, he was my monster,” Hayek wrote in the opinion piece in which she included descriptions of sexual harassment, bullying and threats.
Holly Baird, a spokeswoman for Weinstein, reached by email on Wednesday, said she could not immediately provide a comment.
More than 50 women have claimed that Weinstein sexually harassed or assaulted them over the past three decades. Weinstein has denied having non-consensual sex with anyone.
Reuters has been unable to independently confirm any of the accusations against Weinstein.
Hayek spokeswoman Samantha Hill said in an emailed reply to a request for comment on Wednesday, “The piece that Salma penned is the extent of what she has to say at this time.”
Police in New York, Los Angeles, Beverly Hills and London have said they are investigating allegations of sexual assault or rape by Weinstein.
Hayek wrote in the article that she was inspired to share her experiences after other women came forward. Her account largely centered around the time she was involved with making the 2002 film, “Frida,” in which she portrayed Mexican painter Frida Kahlo.
Hayek wrote that she was pleased to have the opportunity to work with Weinstein and Miramax, which he then owned, because it was “synonymous with quality, sophistication and risk taking in films.” But, she wrote, she found herself rebuffing sexual advances and requests from Weinstein.
- ‘No difficulty in Padma Bridge for coronavirus’
- Youth held for selling fake question paper in Lalmonirhat
- Appoint doctors in prison hospital’s vacant posts: HC
- Taposh’s manifesto promises to build modern Dhaka
- Moyna; a brave woman entrepreneur
- Mymensingh farmers busy cultivating Boro paddy
- Jet evacuates Americans from China
- New route being built on Dhaka to Ctg-Sylhet
- Shah Rukh Khan’s cousin Noor Jehan dies of cancer
- Japanese brings back 206 evacuees from Wuhan
- UAE confirms first coronavirus cases
- ‘Deal of the Century’ best betrayal of century: Iran
- Question leaker held in capital
- ‘Bollywood does not need international audiences’
- US dropped record number of bombs in Afghanistan
- Robbing with law enforcers identity, 3 detained
- Severe floods in Brazil leave 52 dead
- 7.7 quake hits Caribbean, Tsunami warning issued
- Jamal Bhuyan stood by the cold affecteds on street
- Kobe Bryant’s body among 3 identified
- 67 foreign observers in city polls
- Light rain or drizzle likely
- Coronavirus exceeds SARS virus
- AC Milan knock out Torino to reach Coppa Italia semis
- ‘I do not want coronavirus in Bangladesh, so I will not return’
- Coronavirus: Germany confirms 3 more cases
- Trump releases long-awaited Middle-East peace plan
- India faces NZ in 3rd T20 today
- Coronavirus death toll exceeding to 132
- 3 killed in Dinajpur road crash
- All News »
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- ‘Dil Toh Happy Hai Ji’ actress Sejal Sharma commits suicide
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Rohingya killing resumed defying ICJ order
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Comilla University’s 1st convocation Monday
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin fare Tk 15,000!
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- Basketball legend Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash
- Coronavirus death toll climbs to 106
- Coronavirus infected identified in Israel
- Tambadu: The man who stands beside distress Rohingya
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- ‘Jamalpur Express’ to be launched tomorrow
- E-passport to be launched today
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- 3 US crew killed in Australia firefighting plane crash
- China lies over coronavirus infected, it topped .9 million!
- 2 Bangladeshis receive Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri awards in India
- Bangladesh meet Pakistan in 3rd T20 today
- Evaly accused of cheating over online offers
- ‘Coronavirus will not enter Bangladesh’