Salah surpasses Ronaldo to become Europe`s top scorer
Published: 09:42 PM, 25 April 2018
Liverpool`s Mohamed Salah has surpassed Real Madrid`s Cristiano Ronaldo to become Europe`s top scorer in all competitions.
The Egyptian striker picked up two goals against his former club Roma in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final on Tuesday at Liverpool`s Anfield stadium.
Liverpool won the match 5-2 and are well placed to reach their first final for European football`s top annual competition in 11 years.
The team manager Jurgen Klopp was full of praise for Salah, describing the forward as "outstanding"and a "genius".
Salah`s contribution to the win, which also included two assists, took his overall goal tally to 43 goals, compared to Ronaldo`s 42 and Barcelona`s Lionel Messi`s 40.
Ronaldo will have a shot at equalling or surpassing Salah`s tally during Real Madrid`s semi-final match against Germany`s Bayern Munich on Wednesday.
The feat comes just days after Salah was voted the Professional Footballers` Association`s Player of the Year, one of English football`s top individual honours.
Salah has also equalled the record for the most goals scored in a 38-game English Premier League season with 31 goals in that competition.
The 25-year-old moved from Roma to Liverpool for just over $50m last summer and has since established himself as one of Europe`s most prolific strikers.
His exploits on the pitch and clean humble image off it have earned him footballing superstardom in his first season at the club.
Salah refused to celebrate his goals against Roma out of respect for his former club.
Earlier this month, stories emerged of a younger Salah convincing his father not to pursue charges against a man who had been caught trying to rob their home in the village of Nagrig in the Nile Delta.
The striker is also known for his philanthropy and has helped build hospitals and schools in his native Egypt.
- Make popcorn at home
- Woman teems 4 children at once
- Mentally disabled man memorizes entire Holy Quran
- ‘Enjoy rape in failure to prevent’
- Chris: World’s heaviest sheep ever
- Alia-Ranbir wedding card revealed!
- ‘Nagad’ account in 1 minute
- Govt incentive surges remittance flow
- Goat morsels plant: Youth killed in scuffle
- MPO Enroll: Priority given to remote areas’ insts
- 4 companies fined in Chandina market
- FICA supports players’ strike
- ECNEC clears 5 projects of Tk 4636.80 cr
- No ‘Classical Music Festival’ this year
- Asif plays villain in debut!
- 37th BCS Non-cadre result published
- OC dismissed for intercedes Razakar
- Sand imported from China instead of cotton
- No Salary for 27 months despite daily attendance Tk 60
- UK team meets DU VC
- Nusrat murder case verdict Oct 24
- Way to use body scrubber to get brighter skin
- NBR gets time to report on chemical testing unit
- 157 dead in Iraq protests: new official toll
- Bimal Biswas left WPB
- Hearing on Robi’s due appeal Thursday
- Cricketers’ movement unexpected: Papon
- Amitabh apologizes, storm on social media
- Banning unlicensed easybike-rickshaw in city
- Stop unhealthy race on roads: PM
- All News »
- Pooja Zunjar, new born baby die as family fails to get ambulance
- Child Tuhin murder: 2 relatives give statement
- JMI Hospital Requisite holds IPO road show
- Padma Bank Limited receive insurance cheque
- Now father allegedly kills child in Faridpur
- 3 women killed as truck hits human hauler
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh
- Jubo League age decision at Ganabhaban: Quader
- Brutal murder of child: Case filed against 10
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- Abrar murder chargesheet soon: HM
- PM urges UGC not to go beyond rules
- Sunny, Al Amin recalled for India T20 series
- Siddik has relations with multiple girls, alleges wife Mim
- New labor laws in Qatar benefiting migrant workers
- 35 pilgrims killed as bus crashes in Saudia Arabia
- Padma Bridge work progress 84 pc
- Gold bars worth Tk 6.5cr recovered in Shah Amanat
- DU ‘Ka’, ‘Cha’ unit admission test results tomorrow
- Johnson sends unsigned letter to EU for Brexit delay
- Japan keen to expand existing bilateral ties: Envoy
- 2 pedestrians die after being hit by bus
- T20 World Cup Qualifier begins today
- ‘Kathin Chibar Dan’ being celebrated
- BUET students’ call off protests
- 9 addl judges appointed to HC
- City Bank MD alleged for sexual assault
- DU ‘A’ unit admission test result postponed
- Sabila Nur’s honeymoon preparation!
- ‘Kurigram Express’ to be launched today