Sahabi, who was the first Physician in Islam
Published: 12:16 PM, 1 July 2019
Sahabi al-Harith bin Kaladah (ra); many historians call him 'Tabibul Arab' or 'doctor of Arabia'. His full name is Abu Wail al-Harith bin Kaladah bin Amr bin Alaz as-Saqafi.
He was born in Ta'if of Saudi Arabia, in the then Yemen, he studied medicine at that time. He also took the training of medical science at Gundeshapur in Iran. Although his passed his early life out of Islam, at the matured age, he became blessed with the Islam and opportunity to get companion with the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), the four caliphs and lots of Sahabi (ra)
By determining the nature of the disease, he found the way of treatment. In Gondeshpur, Iran, he became proficient in medicine, as well as became skilled in playing musical instruments.
Al-Harith Ibn Kaldah before Islam
Though his house was Taif, his journey to Yemen and Iran was regular. He used to run for medical and musical instruments to run in the two countries. In doing so, he surpassed his contemporaries. Even others could be overwhelmed by the nature of his treatment. The people of Iran recognize their knowledge and expertise in that time. Even before entering Islam, his reputation was spread over the Arab Delta.
Al-Harith Ibn Kaldah post Islam period
The advent of Islam in Makkah and the rise of al-Haris in Taif took place at the same time. However, there is no specific information available in the history-source about when Al-Haris was accepted Islam. But due to his contributions and expertise in medicine, he had been discussing quite well.
In one narration, once Sahabi Saad Ibn Abi Waqqas (ra) became very ill in Mecca. Then the Prophet (peace be upon him) called the Al-Haris (ra) for his Medicare.
His conversation with Kisara
Al-Haris (ra) has a great silence in battle with King Kisar of Persia. Once Kisara got sick and called Al-Haris (ra) in his court. When Al-Haris (ra) reached Kisara's court and entered inside. Then, Kisara asked him, who are you? He replied, "I am Al-Harith Ibn Kaldah as-Saqafi." Kisara asked, what is your profession? He said, treatment. Asked, are you Arabic? He said, 'Yes, I am aristocrat and genuine Arabic. Then Kisara said, what will the Arabs do again in medicine with stupidity, poor memory and eating low quality food? Al-Haris (ra) immediately said, the great king! If the Arabs had such weakness, then it was necessary that one would remove the folly, correct the curvature, straighten the body, and establish the brain-brain. Because the wise people understand them on their own.
Kisera wondered as he heard this statement, then asked, of what character of Arabs do you want to praise? Have any of their ideals and qualities surprised you? He said, "King! They have a generous heart, a good quality royalty, pure language, and excellent speech. The way the arrows depart from the bow, the rhetoric speech is released from their mouth. Their language is more transparent than the clear air of the spring. And softer than the waterfall.
There are many more discussions between Kisara and him. He embraced and overcame Kisara in the magic of speech. Finally, Kisara was forced to accept his words.
Death of Al-Haris (ra)
Historians have different disagreements with regards to the date of the death of Al-Haris (ra). Someone said that on the day opinion on the date of his death. Some say, Al-Haris (ra) died of poisoning on the same day when the first caliph of Islam, Hazrat Abu Bakr (ra) had died. A Jewish woman mixed poison with her food.
Another group say, that he died in the time of Muawiya bin Abi Sufyan (ra). Their proof is that, Hazrat Mu'awiyah (ra) had asked him some questions about medical matters. But the first party said that Hazrat Muawiya (ra) made the questions during the regime of the second Caliph Hazrat Umar (ra).
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Ershad wasn`t just my brother but teacher: GM Quader
- Sadarghat building collapse: Father-Son`s body recovered
- Inzamam to step down as Pakistan chief selector
- Modeling early meteorite impacts on the moon
- Did Leonardo da Vinci have ADHD?
- ‘I am innocent’; claimed ex-OC Moazzem
- Kholi losing captaincy!
- 20 thou people victim in Patgram road collapse
- ICC breakes silence over overthrow controversy
- 100pc pass in Adamjee College
- PM urges PGR for highest professional sacrifice
- Saudi stops drone thrown by Yemeni rebels
- HSC examinee suicide crushed under train
- First child born in `Madina`
- ‘My Masud appointed as Police’
- Sadarghat building collapse: Father-Son missing
- Boys in GPA 5, girls ahead in pass rate
- Chattogram range`s best OC Jahidul Kabir
- Quatar WC qualifiers: Bangladesh in Group E
- Nusrat got ‘A’ grade but fail!
- Ex-Songazi OC Moazzem indicted
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Mosharraf Karim paired with Safa in ‘Dil Daan Kalachan’
- Fish production marks constant rise over last 5 yrs
- What actions taken against police failure; HC asked
- Now woman killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Road link with Bandarban restores after 8-day
- 100 pc pass in 907 inst
- All News »
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- DU admission test in new method
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque