Sabbir loses BCB Contract after assaulting fan
Published: 07:42 PM, 1 January 2018 Updated: 09:43 PM, 3 January 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Bangladesh cricketer Sabbir Rahman has been stripped off his Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) central contract for assaulting a cricket fan during a 19th National Cricket League (NCL) match. Sabbir has also been fined Tk 20 lakh ($25,000 approx) and barred from playing domestic cricket for the next six months.
This was disclosed by the Bangladesh Cricket board (BCB) president Nazmul Hassan Papon at his corporate office in Dhanmondi on Monday.
Sabbir was the first cricketer in Bangladesh to be punished in such a way. He was in Grade B in the BCB`s list of contracted cricketers, earning $30,000 in 2017. By being fined $25,000, he breaks his own record, having been fined Tk 12 lakh ($16,000) for a serious disciplinary breach during the 2016 BPL.
Hassan said the committee`s recommendations to punish Sabbir were "final" - meaning that he approved of them - although the board directors will have to endorse them in a meeting later.
The incident took place on December 21, the second day of Rajshahi Division`s National Cricket League game against Dhaka Metropolis. Apart from assaulting the fan, Sabbir also allegedly misbehaved with the match referee after being summoned for investigation.
According to the committee`s vice-chairman Sheikh Sohel, Sabbir apologised for his actions during Monday`s hearing. Sohel said Sabbir`s history of disciplinary breaches were kept in mind while deciding the punishment.
`We felt that he didn`t learn anything from his past two punishments,` Sohel said. `We have meted out a heavy punishment. He is out of the national contract, which is a huge blow. He is also fined Tk 20 lakh. But this is his last chance. If he has another brush with indiscipline, he will be permanently suspended.`
- Motorcyclist killed in Sylhet road crash
- College student dies of dengue in Shariatpur
- Griezmann hits two to seal Barca`s first La Liga win
- Floods kill 62 in Sudan
- Today’s sports on TV
- Mexican journalist stabbed to death
- Do aliens really exist?
- Sub-Editor to be recruited in Daily Bangladesh
- Stokes 135* leads England to epic test win
- Watling, Grandhomme put NZ ahead in 2nd Test
- Miraz rates Bangladesh ahead of Afghanistan Test
- Faridpur road crash kills cyclist
- Hilsa abound in sea, very few in rivers
- Man jailed for honey!
- Purnima demands excess payment
- `If Bangabandhu`s killers brought under trial, Zia won`t killed`
- Bermuda Triangle: Mystery Museum on earth
- Prof Muzaffar laid to rest with state honor
- Two die as bus hits van in Madaripur
- Truck ramps private car, driver killed
- Bangladesh U-15 outclasses Sri Lanka in 7-1 win
- Ex-Eden College principal murder: Charge sheet accepted
- Wari girl Saima rape, murder: Probe report Sept 16
- Don’t go abroad being deceived by broker: PM
- Yield, market price brings smile on jute growers
- Rain likely across country
- HC orders to remove word ‘Kumari’ from Kabinnama
- Trump confident on Brexit talks
- NASA to prob ‘first crime’ in space
- Messi to miss Barcelona`s game at Real Betis
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Aghoris: The ‘Black Magicians’!
- Razia Sultana: First lady ruler in India
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- PEC exam schedule published
- Kamrup Kamakhya: Mystery of India
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Rayudu promises IPL return for CSK
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- ‘DC Ahmed Kabir will be received exemplary punishment’
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- I am half Sindhi, half Peshawar: Sonam Kapoor
- No bar to publish 9th wage board gazette