Sabbir eyes Bangladesh comeback through BPL
Published: 06:02 PM, 1 January 2019 Updated: 06:02 PM, 1 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Sabbir Rahman, who was suspended from international cricket in September last year for repeated off-field issues, on Tuesday (January 1) said that he is hoping to put up good performances in the upcoming Bangladesh Premier League in order to get back into the national reckoning.
Sabbir has been charged in the past for a number of incidents and that include physically assaulting a fan during a National Cricket League match in Rajshahi as well as for using abusive words while replying to a Facebook post.
Since being slapped with the ban, several cricketers were tried to fill his batting slot with Mohammad Mithun turning out to be a worthy replacement. ''I think the national team is open for everyone. BPL is a big stage for me. I will try to play my natural game and at the moment, I am thinking about BPL rather than the World Cup as it is still a long way,'' Sabbir told reporters.
''If I can perform extraordinarily in BPL, then there is a chance for me to make a return and I am looking forward to it. First let me do well in BPL,'' he said.
Sabbir added that he has vowed not to make similar mistakes in the near future. ''I promised to myself last night that 2018 had been dreadful year for me and I want to forget it and start afresh from this new year.
I have realised that my career is getting under threat for all those mistakes. There is nothing you can prove by saying, so let me see how far I go regarding keeping my commitment to my own self," he added.
Sylhet Sixers roped in Australian David Warner for the upcoming edition of BPL and also handed him the captaincy. Sabbir said that he is excited to share the dressing room with Warner and hoped that his valuable insights will help the team to give good account of themselves.
''Of course, he [Warner] is a big player and has got a lot of experience. His presence in the team is a big factor. If he shares his experience among us and we try to follow him, and the rest of the guys support him, we expect to have a good result."
Sixers also have the likes of Liton Das, Sohail Tanvir, Sandeep Lamichhane, Nicholas Pooran, Andre Fletcher and Nasir Hossain in their ranks. ''Last year, we began well and we will try to do the same this year as well and then see what needs to be done. Our team combination is very good as far as the top order and middle order is concerned," he noted.
- Edu Minister criticized teachers for ‘Coaching’
- NZ PM received death threats
- Argentina to train up Bangladeshi footballers
- ‘Shark plane’ in Bangladesh
- Orchita Sporshia in Makkah to perform Umrah
- Will take charge of Ducsu: VP Noor
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- Balaka bus hit Menon’s car
- Emilia Clarke reveals she suffered two near-fatal brain aneurysms
- Woman`s throat-slit body found in Bagerhat
- 2 powerful cyclones bear down on North Australian coast
- Commercial banana farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Surma-Dhanu rivers in hand of influential occupiers
- Unidentifind woman killed in Narsingdi road crash
- Two US soldiers killed in Afghanistan
- Journo Anwarul Haq passes away
- Five drug traders among 19 held in Dinajpur
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- Risk of facing loss due to mites attack
- RAB’s anti-narcotics drive in capital’s Geneva Camp
- World Water Day today
- Mass funeral held to bury 26 slain in N. Zealand
- Rain likely untill tomorrow morning
- Six killed as car hits crowd in China
- Five killed as bus hits auto-rickshaw in Barishal
- Nearly 100 dead as ferry sinks in Iraq`s Tigris river
- New Zealand falls silent for mosque victims
- Pakistan to face Australia today in 1st ODI
- China chemical blast death toll rises to 44
- 1350 meters of Padma Bridge visible now
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Hidden meaning of writing on the rifle..
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Man’s mobile phone protects him from ‘arrow attack’
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- National SME fair begins
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- NZ mosque attack leaves 27 dead, Tigers scattered
- Tigers left New Zealand
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police