SKorea turns off loudspeaker broadcasts into North
Published: 05:55 PM, 23 April 2018
South Korea has stopped broadcasting propaganda via loudspeakers along the border with North Korea due to ahead of top-level talks later this week.
The broadcasts can be heard by the North`s troops stationed along the border and civilians in the area.
Seoul said turning them off would help set the tone for Friday`s talks.
North Korea has its own system of speakers along the border, playing reports critical of Seoul and its allies. It is not yet known whether it will follow suit and silence them too.
South Korean spokesman Choi Hoi-Hyun told reporters that the move aimed to ease the military tension between the two Koreas and develop a peaceful summit atmosphere.
Choi Hoi-Hyun said we hope this decision will lead both Koreas to stop mutual criticism and propaganda against each other and also contribute to creating peace and a new beginning.
South Korea`s President Moon Jae-in has called it `a significant decision towards total denuclearization of the Korean peninsula`.
Pyongyang`s leader Kim Jong-un is due to meet Mr Moon next Friday at the truce village of Panmunjom, marking the first inter-Korean summit in over a decade.
Mr Kim is also due to meet US President Donald Trump by June. It will be the first-ever meeting between two sitting leaders of North Korea and the US.
South Korea`s propaganda broadcasts have been running on and off since the Korean War. The idea is to persuade North Korean soldiers to doubt what they are told by their leaders.
Their use has been increased and decreased over the years, following the diplomatic mood on the peninsula.
South Korea did not say whether it planned to restart the broadcasts after the summits.
The Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense system (Thaad) is designed to protect against missile attacks from North Korea.
However, South Koreans in the central county of Seongju, where the system is located, believe it is a potential target for attacks and endangers the lives of those living nearby.
- Narsingdi set to lockdown from tomorrow
- 29 fined for violating ‘stay home’ rules in capital
- Agrani Bank officer infected; principal branch locked down
- Youth held for spreading rumors over coronavirus on Facebook
- Over 3 lakh people recovered from coronavirus
- Kopotakkho entering locality by breaching embankment
- Stokes becomes Wisden leading cricketer of the year
- Uthappa eyeing India WC team comeback
- COVID-19 patient escapes from Dhaka now at Rajbari isolation
- ‘Do not visit cemetery, shrines on Shab-e-Barat night’
- Chhatak Youth missing on his way to Turkey
- Popular singer John Prine dies from coronavirus
- Now Cox’s Bazar lockdown
- COVID-19 death toll surpasses 83,000
- 34 samples collected for corona test from Bogura
- British PM Boris Johnson remains stable in ICU
- 3 houses under lockdown in Cumilla
- Father-daughter killed in Jhenaidah road crash
- Nation ecstatic over arrest of Bangabandhu`s killer Majed: Tofail
- Coronavirus affected JnU student on recovery process
- US Navy Secretary Thomas Modly resigns
- Directors Guild stood by drama directors
- Workers killed as truck ditched in Sirajganj
- Farmer who died isolation ward tested negative for coronavirus
- 39 new suspects in Ctg. found negative for COVID-19
- ‘No legal bar to execute Majed’s death sentence’
- First coronavirus case confirmed in Araihazar
- Coronavirus existence not found in four samples of Narail
- One arrested with Yaba in Tangail
- Hotel owners jailed for disobeying ban order
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus