SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
Published: 10:56 AM, 6 December 2018 Updated: 11:11 AM, 6 December 2018
The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the High Court order that had granted bail to BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia in a case filed under the Explosive Substances Act over the arson attack in Cumilla on January 25, 2015.
The seven-member bench of Appellate Division led by Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain passed the order following a petition filed by the state.
The SC also asked the authorities concerned to file leave-to-petition in the regular bench and fixed December 13 for next hearing.
On November 28, the HC bench of Justice AKM Asaduzzaman and Justice SM Mozibur Rahman granted bail to BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia in the case.
On October 15, Khaleda's lawyer filed a bail petition with the High Court after the Special Judge Court-1 of Cumilla denied the former prime minister bail on September 13 in the case.
The HC accepted Khaleda's appeal for hearing and issued a rule seeking an explanation as to why she would not get bail on October 24.
On 25 January 2015, a covered van was set on fire at Haiderpool of Chouddagram municipality on the Dhaka-Chattogram highway.
The following day, sub-inspector Nuruzzaman of Chouddagram Police Station filed a case against the BNP chairperson and 31 other leaders and activists of the party over the incident.
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Marcelo lost his place due to bad display against Barca
- Reza directs CDA to gear up projects to improve services
- US Treasury Sec Mnuchin calls China trade talks `productive`
- Spanish PM calls snap polls after budget defeat
- PM leaves for Abu Dhabi tonight
- Swiss actor Bruno Ganz, who played Hitler, dies at 77
- `Acquire knowledge on literature`
- CTTC arrested two JMB men
- BCC receives two int’l awards
- Surplus potato will be exported: Tipu
- Surplus potato will be exported: Tipu
- Heroic Perera ton helps Sri Lanka to thrilling victory
- `Runa Laila` with new song
- Bus-autorickshaw clash kills 3 in Sylhet
- Diet drinks increase stroke risk
- DMP chief alert police against injustice
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- All 49 reserved seats elected uncontested
- ‘Shahidullah Kaiser’ recall
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- One held over Lalmonirhat gang rape
- Farmers` profit in mustard
- Are Carbs good or bad?
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Hasan inducted `Bangladesh Film Festival` in Calcutta
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- Al Mahmud’s namaz-e-janaza held at Baitul Mukarram
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- Pakistan backs group behind suicide bomb: Iran
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Trinamool Lawmaker shot dead in West Bengal
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’