SC cleared way to DUCSU polls
Published: 05:17 PM, 6 January 2019 Updated: 05:21 PM, 6 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The Supreme Court's appeal division has withdrawn the suspension of the chamber court on the election of Dhaka University's Central Students’ Union (DUCSU). As a result, there was no further obstacle on DUCSU elections.
Following a writ petition on Sunday, the appeal division led by Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain gave the order. Besides, the Court has fixed March 30 for the next hearing of the case.
The apex court today vacated its chamber judge’s order that stayed a High Court verdict directing the authorities concerned to hold the Ducsu election in six months.
A four-member bench of the Appellate Division of the SC headed by Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain passed the order during hearing of an appeal filed by DU authorities challenging the HC verdict.
Following a writ petition, the HC on January 17 last year directed the authorities concerned and the government to hold the election in six months. The HC also directed the home ministry to provide necessary assistance to the DU authorities for holding the polls.
Following an appeal filed by the DU authorities, the SC chamber judge on October 1 last year stayed the HC verdict.
In the appeal, the DU authorities said that they had decided to hold the polls by March 15 this year.
The Appellate Division kept the appeal of DU authorities stand-over (pending for hearing) till March 30.
Writ petitioners’ counsel Manzil lMurshid told the correspondent that authorities have to hold the Ducsu polls by March 15 following today’s order.
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight with BGB
- Driver-helper killed as truck overturns
- Saudi Arabia blames Iran for tanker attacks
- Tax rebate if organization will recruit physically challenged
- Pakistan meets India this afternoon
- Murtaja not be executed, Saudis say
- SC reopens today after 21-day vacation
- 3 drug traders killed in Teknaf gunfight
- President leaves Dushanbe for Uzbekistan today
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Afghanistan all out for 125
- China’s largest ever Picasso exhibition opens
- Rapist kept in jail as he refused to marry victim
- Wellbeing: 2 Hours of Nature a Week
- Heavy metals result of supernova explosion
- ‘I am working in life risk to fulfill Bangabandhu’s dream’
- Two Unique Mosques in Indonesia have a breathtaking Architect
- India-Pakistan World Cup statistics!
- Australia post 334 against Sri Lanka
- Air Chief left for France
- 14 post-election murder in India’s west Bengal
- Proposed budget is business-friendly: FBCCI
- Schoolboy killed in Jhenaidah road crash
- Mushfiq injured in practice
- South Africa opt to bowl against Afghanistan
- SC ends 21 days shut tomorrow
- Tk 80,190 cr proposed for children in next FY
- Trump official pressed NASA on climate science
- `Govt takes step to prevent river erosion, water logging`
- DMP collected data of 6.2m people in Dhaka
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Health checkup for Hajj pilgrims begins on June 16
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Yuvraj Singh retires from all forms of cricket
- Building wall collapses after explosion in Shanir Akhra, kills 1
- Holy Eid al-Adha on Aug 12!
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- BJP-TMC clash killed 4 killed in India`s West Bengal
- Class XI admission results published
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- England wins beating Windies
- JS budget session begins today
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BNP’s Rumeen Farhana takes oath
- Che Guevara’s 91st birth anniv today
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held