S Korea’s warning shot at Russ army jet
Russia denies violating airspace
Published: 08:23 PM, 23 July 2019 Updated: 08:26 PM, 23 July 2019
South Korea says its jets fired warning shots at a Russian surveillance plane that entered its airspace on Tuesday.
Officials said the plane twice violated the airspace over the disputed Dokdo/Takeshima islands, which are occupied by South Korea but also claimed by Japan.
South Korea's ministry of defense said it scrambled fighter jets in response and fired 360 machine-gun rounds.
Russia has denied violating the country's airspace.
Moscow said two of its bombers carried out a planned drill over "neutral waters" and denied any warning shots were fired by South Korean jets.
This is the first incident of its kind between Russia and South Korea.
South Korea's military said that in total three Russian and two Chinese military aircraft entered the Korea Air Defense Identification Zone (KADIZ) on Tuesday morning.
It said this group was made up of two Russian Tu-95 bombers, one Russian A-50 surveillance plane and two Chinese H-6 bombers.
Russian and Chinese bombers and reconnaissance planes have occasionally entered the zone in recent years.
Overseas aircraft should identify themselves before entering an air defense zone.
South Korea said one of the Russian planes - the A-50 - flew beyond the KADIZ and entered the country's territorial airspace at around 09:00 local time (00:00 GMT).
South Korean F-15 and F-16 planes were deployed to intercept it.
The military said it fired 10 flares and 80 machine-gun rounds during the alleged first violation.
It said the Russian plane then left before circling back around again when it was met by 10 more South Korean flares and 280 machine-gun rounds.
In its statement, Russia only mentioned two bomber planes. It did not specifically acknowledge the accusation that it had also sent an A-50 that violated South Korean airspace.
Japan meanwhile has protested against both Russia and South Korea.
Because it claims sovereignty over the islands, Japan's government said that Russia had violated its airspace. It also said that South Korea's response was extremely regrettable.
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Lightning kills 9 in 4 districts
- `Action against who discourage Rohingya `
- August 15 and 21 are in same knot
- First successful Air-raid in history
- Kashmir: Bone of contention between India-Pakistan
- Israel detains 16 Palestinians in West Bank raids
- Golden fibre makes farmer smile
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 15 houses fined having Aedes larvae in city
- Mother’s fight to fulfill daughter’s wish
- 3-day ‘Tree Fair’ begins in Manirampur
- ‘Sonar Bangla should be established to pay homage to Bangabandhu’
- Soroj Mehedi becomes BD Chief executive to MEDCOM-2020
- Big profit in little invest
- PEC exam schedule published
- Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
- Soumitra Chatterjee discharged from hospital
- Israel seeks to beat PTSD with ‘ecstasy’ therapy
- Mechanized farming in Bishwanath
- Mosharraf Karim flew to Canada on birthday!
- Air-ticket on mobile app
- Rohingya refused to go back
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- 2,549 dengue patients return home after recovery in Khulna
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- PM urges to improve Biman’s passenger services
- Nurse murdered over ‘triangle extra-marital affair’
- Rangpur farmers happy with better jute price
- Bubly wants to work with another instead of Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves