S Korean army to discharge transgender soldier
Published: 05:06 PM, 22 January 2020
A transgender soldier who enlisted as a man and underwent a sex change last year will be discharged from South Korea’s army, with the military saying Wednesday she had violated regulations.
The country remains deeply conservative about matters of sexual identity and is less tolerant of LGBT rights than some other parts of Asia, with many gay and transgender Koreans living largely under the radar.
The soldier - a staff sergeant in her 20s whose name has been withheld - voluntarily enlisted before having gender-reassignment surgery in November in Thailand.
She had expressed her desire to remain in the army but a military panel ruled on Wednesday that she will be compulsorily discharged.
The case “corresponded to one of the reasons for being unable to continue service”, the army said in a statement, without giving specifics.
A defence ministry spokesman said the soldier has been undergoing tests at a military hospital, which classified the loss of male genitals as a mental or physical handicap, prompting the panel review.
The military statement added that it was determined to avoid “unfair discrimination and treatment”.
South Korea has a conscript army to defend itself against nuclear-armed North Korea, with all able-bodied male citizens obliged to serve for nearly two years.
International rights groups have expressed concern about the way South Korea treats gay soldiers, who are banned from engaging in same-sex acts and can face up to two years in prison if caught - even though such actions are legal in civilian life. - AFP
- Over 80,000 police personnel appointed
- Zimbabwe reeling after Mushfiqur`s 203*
- Bangladesh to field against India
- Bangladesh declare after Mushfiqur`s double ton
- 55 pc work of Elevated Expressway completed
- One to die, 11 get life term for murder in Kushtia
- Dhaka-Sylhet 6-lane work begins in July
- Probe report in BB reserve heist case on March 29
- 9 shops gutted in Chattogram fire
- 16 Turkish fighters killed in Libya
- Donald Trump arrives in India on 2-day visit
- Date of Shab-e-Meraj to be known today
- Mominul departs for 132, Tigers crossed 400
- Sri Lanka opt to bat
- Mahathir Mohamad resigns
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Rain likely at many places
- 3 ACME employees killed in Naogaon road crash
- Bubly will not make any mistakes like Apu: Shakib
- Neymar gets red card in PSG comeback win
- 2 yrs of losing Sridevi, Janhvi remembering mother with best picture
- GP to pay Tk 1,000cr within three months
- Mominul ton, Mushfiq fifty take Tigers past 300
- Shooting at flea market in Texas
- Youth hacked dead in Noakhali
- China reports 150 more coronavirus deaths
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Tigresses faces India today
- PM for integrated development plans
- South Africa level T20 series over Australia
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Good news to honey farmers
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire