S. Korea proposes high-level talks with North
Published: 02:34 PM, 2 January 2018 Updated: 11:19 AM, 3 January 2018
South Korea`s President Moon Jae-in and North`s leader Kim Jong-un
South Korea government has proposed high-level talks with North Korea on January 9 to discuss its possible participation in the 2018 Winter Olympic Games.
The offer comes after the North`s leader Kim Jong-un considered to send a team to Pyeongchang in South Korea for the Games in February. Kim Jong-un said the two sides should imperatively meet to discuss the possibility.
At a cabinet meeting on Tuesday, South Korea`s President Moon Jae-in said that he welcomed Kim Jong-un`s consideration for participating in the upcoming winter Olympic Games.
He hopes that the Olympic Games could be a groundbreaking chance to melt the frozen relationship between South and North Korea.
South Korean Unification Minister Cho Myoung-gyon suggested that representatives could meet at Panmunjom village.
He said that they hope that the South and North can sit face to face and discuss the participation of the North Korean delegation at the Pyeongchang Games as well as other issues of mutual interest for the improvement of inter-Korean ties.
But it is not yet known that who will be attending in the proposed talks on the 9 January.
The president of the Pyeongchang Games` organizing committee, Lee Hee-beom told South Korea`s news agency Yonhap that he was satisfied to hear of the North Korea’s potential participation. He said that it is like a New Year gift.
Although North Korea has missed the official deadline to confirm their participation in the Winter Olympic Games that was invited by the International Olympic Committee.
It is noted that the last high-level talks took place in December 2015 in the Kaesong joint industrial zone. But they ended without any agreement and the meeting`s agenda was not made public.
- Myanmar army kills 2 Rohingya pregnant women
- Humayun urges ThaiBev to jointly invest in Bangladesh
- Myanmar must abide by ICJ orders: Hasan
- Coronavirus can kill 65mn people!
- Valencia beat Setien`s Barcelona 2-0
- Atiqul to announce election manifesto tomorrow
- 1st Bangladeshi woman in US mainstream politics
- Stokes apologized but punished
- ‘Infrastructural developed schools are not good schools’
- PM for worthy citizens through sports
- Recruitment at Epyllion Group
- What thinks Domingo for losing series!
- Youths rich in tech knowledge are the future leader: Palak
- JMB men arrested in Khulna on 10-day remand
- Disabled child died after fallen from the roof
- Death toll climbs 22 in Turkish earthquake
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- Xi says China faces `grave situation` as virus toll hits 41
- Horse race held in Mithapukur
- Delta Airlines fined for dropping Muslim paxs
- Gambia Justice Minister praised Bangladesh
- 2 bakers fined TK 6 lakh Jhalokati
- Defendant mobbed over threatening plaintiff
- Election manifesto to be given highest priority
- Housewife killed over dowry dispute, 3 arrested
- Pakistan threats India over World Cup!
- Ranveer Singh denies sexism!
- 5 detained with 102 ltr liquor
- Bangladesh Embassy in China launches ‘hotline’ service
- No bricks in public works
- All News »
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- E-passport to be launched today
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Harry, Meghan to give up royal titles
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack