Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
Published: 11:11 PM, 15 January 2020
A tornado innings of 22-ball 54 by skipper Andre Russell enabled Rajshahi Royals to stay in the title race eliminating Chattogram Challengers of the Bangabandhu Bangladesh Premier Leauge (BBPL) at Mirpur Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium today.
Replying to Chattogram Challengers 164/8, Royals chased down the target keeping 4 balls and 2 wickets in hand on the back of some blistering knocks from their batsmen.
Rajshahi Royals lost opener Afif Hossain to 8 runs in the 2nd over. Liton Das also being dismissed by a brilliant through by Mehedi Hasan Rana and Royals lost their 2nd wicket to 14. They also lost Alok Kapali to 34. One down batsman Irfan Sukkur made some resistance with Shoaib Malik making a 46-run stand. But their resist did not last long as Malik being dismissed by Ziaur Rahman scoring 14 off 22. Irfan Sukur also being dismissed by Mehedi Hasan Rana scoring 45 off 42.
Then it was thought that Rajshahi is going to lose the match as they needed about 14 runs per over. But Skipper Russell's 54* off 22 with seven sixes and two fours and Mohammad Nawaz(3)'s 5-ball 14 helped Rajshahi to win the match.
Rubel Hossain, Rayad Emrit bagged 2 wickets each while Mehedi Hasan Rana, Mahmudullah and Ziaur Rahman took one wicket each.
Chris Gayle and Ziaur Rahman put up 42 runs in the first wicket stand. Ziaur smashed 25 off 12 balls with three fours and two sixes before falling prey to Mahedi Hasan.
In the second wicket, Imrul Kayes and Gayle added 49 runs. Imrul was dismissed by Pakistan spinner Shadab Khan after scoring 32 off 22 balls with one four and three sixes- two off Mashrafe Bin Mortaza.
Earlier, West Indian CH Gayle's 60 off 24 gave Chattogram Challengers to a fighting total at Dhaka, today.
After winning the toss Rajshahi Royals asked Chattogram Challengers to bat first and they post 164/9 in 20 over.
Chattogram lost opener Ziaur Rahman (6) to 22 and Imrul Kayes to 45. But Gayle and skipper Mahmudullah made 52 runs in the 3rd wicket stand.
After losing the wicket of Gayle Chattogram lost skipper Mahmudullah to 114. Before going out to Mohammad Nawaz Riyad made 18-ball 33. Then DAS Gunaratne (31 off 25) able to score double-digit and Chattogram finished their innings on 164/9.
Mohammad Irfan and Mohammad Nawaz(3) bagged 2 wickets each.
- Jibon crushed to death under Nilachal
- 6 killed as microbus carrying wedding party hits roadside tree
- Two held in Paltan with 10,000 Yaba
- 3 drug dealer held with 404 bottles Phensidyl
- Corona death toll may hit 40,000 in London
- BNP continues its unannounced war against court: Quader
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 21 in Italy
- Digital Banking Fair in Noakhali
- Azan in Mike consented in US city
- Finally US, Taliban to sign peace deal
- Puja Cherry’s crush married another Puja
- Mongolian president, foreign minister under quarantine
- Youths will create employment opportunities now
- Mugger pulled bag, woman dies falling from rickshaw
- 100 million people to get 100 services in Mujib Borsho
- ‘No sustainable development possible without quality education’
- Temperature likely to rise
- 20 bus travelers killed in collision with train
- Coronavirus death toll surges past 200 in Iran
- Tigress confirm World Cup exit in hat-trick loss
- February 29: A rare day of calendar
- Today’s sports on TV
- 3 killed as bus ditched in Cumilla
- Robber killed in Moulvibazar gunfight
- A Hindu bride weds in Muslim neighbourhood amid Delhi violence
- First British coronavirus death confirmed
- WHO declares `highest alert` over coronavirus outbreak
- Political uncertenity grows in Malaysia
- England secures comfortable victory over Pakistan
- Quader urges to accept electricity price-hike
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Salman Shah`s wishes fulfilled: Samira
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Investigation underway on those involved with Papiya: HM
- Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Newly-elected Dhaka mayors Taposh, Atiqul take oath
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- Chinese President lauds Sheikh Hasina
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Fire kills 3 incl child in capital’s Eskaton
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- 112 more die of coronavirus
- Delhi violence: Death toll rises to 34
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Saudi suspends entry for Umrah over coronavirus
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- 120 terrorists killed in Niger military operation
- Chaos over mobile theft in Soumya’s wed
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Take measures to control mosquitoes ahead of rainy season: PM
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test
- 23 Feb golden day of Bengali nation