Rule issues to restrict gender detection of unborn babies
Published: 04:11 PM, 3 February 2020 Updated: 06:05 PM, 3 February 2020
The High Court on Monday issued a rule seeking the authorities’ failure to formulate a policy to restrict the gender detection of unborn babies should not be declared illegal.
At the same time, it has been asked why instructions should not be given in the formulation of a policy to restrict the gender detection of unborn babies.
The High Court bench of Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice Md Mostafizur Rahman issued the rule after hearing a writ petition.
Advocate Ishrat Hasan heard the petition on behalf of the writ where she was assisted by a group of women lawyers. Assistant Attorney General MMG Sarwar Payel stood for the state.
The Health Secretary and all the concerned have been asked to respond to the rule within six weeks.
Earlier on January 26, Advocate Ishrat Hasan filed a writ asking to stop publishing the gender detection of unborn babies.
On December 1, legal notices were sent to stop publishing gender detection of unborn babies to ensure the safety of pregnant women and unborn children. The notice was sent to the Secretary of Health, Secretary of the Ministry of Women and Children Affairs and Social Welfare Secretary.
Lawyer Ishrat Hasan said, “Most people in our country still want a male child. Because they think that boys are descendants of the clan, they are more powerful and earn more income. Even many women feel that male childbearing will protect them in the future.”
In this case, if the gender of the unborn child is identified through the examination and it is not desired by the parents, the conscience will affect the physical and mental state of the mother. If the mother suffers from depression, the baby’s brain structure does not develop properly, she added.
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 87,000
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 87,000
- Lockdown imposed in Khulna
- Infected physician sent to Dhaka from Sylhet
- 3 more infected with coronavirus in Chattogram
- Dengue claims 254 Indonesian lives amid coronavirus
- PM’s gift distributed among 1150 auto-rickshaw drivers
- Six reasons to why men prefer living alone
- Jamalpur under complete lockdown
- Another infected with coronavirus in Jamalpur
- Red flags on 20 houses in Chandpur
- All Rohingya camps ‘lockdown’
- Erdogan tweeted greeting for Shab-e-Barat
- 15-member medical team arriving from China
- 7 samples collected for coronavirus test in Kazipur
- Narsingdi set to lockdown from tomorrow
- 29 fined for violating ‘stay home’ rules in capital
- Agrani Bank officer infected; principal branch locked down
- Youth held for spreading rumors over coronavirus on Facebook
- Over 3 lakh people recovered from coronavirus
- Kopotakkho entering locality by breaching embankment
- Stokes becomes Wisden leading cricketer of the year
- Uthappa eyeing India WC team comeback
- COVID-19 patient escapes from Dhaka now at Rajbari isolation
- ‘Do not visit cemetery, shrines on Shab-e-Barat night’
- Chhatak Youth missing on his way to Turkey
- Popular singer John Prine dies from coronavirus
- Now Cox’s Bazar lockdown
- COVID-19 death toll surpasses 83,000
- 34 samples collected for corona test from Bogura
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India