Royal baby named Prince Louis
Published: 12:07 PM, 28 April 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The Duke Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton have finally revealed the name of their third child Louis Arthur Charles.
The couple`s second son was born at 11:01 BST on Monday at the Lindo Wing of St Mary`s Hospital in London, weighing 8lb 7oz.
A tweet from Kensington Palace said the baby would be known as His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Cambridge (pronounced Lou-ee, not Lou-iss).
Prince Louis to give him his official title is only four days old but all eyes have been on him while we waited for his name. It is the longest we waited for a royal baby name in years - Prince George and Princess Charlotte`s names were announced two days after their births in 2013 and 2015.
The new prince is fifth in line to the throne.
Louis is one of the middle names of Prince William and of the new prince`s brother, George. It was also the first name of Lord Mountbatten, his great-great-great uncle, who was killed by the IRA in 1979.
Lord Mountbatten had a strong influence on the upbringing of great-nephew Prince Charles and was described by the latter as "the grandfather I never had".
Arthur is also one of the duke`s middle names and was a middle name of King George VI, the Queen`s father.
The pool of names considered suitable for a prince is not large and yet, the wait between birth and public naming suggests there was some indecision about what to call the new baby.
It did give punters four days to place their bets, though - and most of them will be disappointed.
Louis certainly wasn`t the front-runner as far as the bookies were concerned, but it is clearly a family favourite.
William and George both have it as a middle name.
But with its French and German origins, it will no doubt generate some eyebrow-raising, Brexit-related comment.
There will also no doubt be some confusion over the pronunciation (Loo-ee not Loo-iss).
Louis is the 71st most popular name for a boy in England and Wales, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
The name was 38th out of the top 100 baby names for boys in 2004 but has been declining in popularity. In 2016, 911 newborn boys were named Louis by their parents compared to more than 5,000 who were named George.
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Afghanistan all out for 125
- China’s largest ever Picasso exhibition opens
- Rapist kept in jail as he refused to marry victim
- Wellbeing: 2 Hours of Nature a Week
- Heavy metals result of supernova explosion
- ‘I am working in life risk to fulfill Bangabandhu’s dream’
- Two Unique Mosques in Indonesia have a breathtaking Architect
- India-Pakistan World Cup statistics!
- Australia post 334 against Sri Lanka
- Air Chief left for France
- 14 post-election murder in India’s west Bengal
- Proposed budget is business-friendly: FBCCI
- Schoolboy killed in Jhenaidah road crash
- Mushfiq injured in practice
- South Africa opt to bowl against Afghanistan
- SC ends 21 days shut tomorrow
- Tk 80,190 cr proposed for children in next FY
- Trump official pressed NASA on climate science
- `Govt takes step to prevent river erosion, water logging`
- DMP collected data of 6.2m people in Dhaka
- Stay updated with knowledge, training: PM to SSF PRSNL
- 298 killed in 256 accidents during Eid
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- BSF DG terms border killings as ‘unfortunate deaths’
- Drug trader killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Light to moderate rain likely
- 36 people dead in India`s longest heatwaves
- US Baby cut out of murdered mother’s womb dies
- 3 BNP men including Fakhrul injured as stage broke at wedding
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Health checkup for Hajj pilgrims begins on June 16
- England turn around in World Cup
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Yuvraj Singh retires from all forms of cricket
- Building wall collapses after explosion in Shanir Akhra, kills 1
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Holy Eid al-Adha on Aug 12!
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Class XI admission results published
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- BJP-TMC clash killed 4 killed in India`s West Bengal
- JS budget session begins today
- BNP’s Rumeen Farhana takes oath
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Uday Hakim joins risingbd as Advisory Editor
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament