Rooney gets starting nod from Derby boss
Published: 12:59 PM, 31 December 2019
England’s record goalscorer Wayne Rooney will make his debut for second-tier Derby against Barnsley on Thursday, the club’s manager Phillip Cocu confirmed.
Rooney, 34, joined Derby as a player-coach from MLS side DC United but has been ineligible to play for his new side until January.
“If a player with the qualities, career and the experience of Rooney (is available) you have to be very happy and glad he is here,” said Cocu after Monday’s 2-1 home win over Charlton in the Championship.
“He’s fit, he can start but he will need a few games. Expectation will be high when he starts playing but we have to give him a few games to build up his minutes and get in the team.
“So maybe not perfect from the start but it’s important he will get in the team as soon as possible so we get a certain shape in our team.”
Rooney’s debut can’t come soon enough for Derby.
Their win on Monday moved them into 17th place in English football’s second-tier.
However, they are still nine points shy of the play-off spots and 21 behind the two automatic promotion places.
On Monday, teenage midfielder Jason Knight scored his first goal in professional football to give Derby the three points, ending a run of seven games without a win.
The victory came despite the Rams playing most of the match a man down after Krystian Bielik was sent off for a crude challenge on Conor Gallagher.
Knight put Derby ahead in the 10th minute at Pride Park when he forced the ball in at the back post only for Bielik to see red soon afterward.
But 10-man Derby still doubled their lead 13 minutes from time when Knight scored his second following a cross from Max Bird.
Charlton ensured a nervous finish for the home side when the south London club pulled a goal back seven minutes from time thanks to Lyle Taylor’s successful penalty, awarded after Curtis Davies brought down Gallagher in the box.
- Father shots lightning bird, son takes responsibility to cure
- AL leader shot dead in Bandarban
- 2 drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Teenager electrocuted in Chakaria
- Top terrorist Zisan’s close aide Shakil held
- Worshiping Trump’s idol!
- FBCCI favor trade with China continues
- Naeem credits Taijul for his success
- ‘Very enthusiastic people aggravating coronavirus’
- Harsh condition of healthcare in Sarankhola
- Elderly man killed in Noakhali road accident
- Cristiano Ronaldo set to make 1,000th
- Shakib Khan’s new actress Salwa!
- Elderly man killed in tractor-nachimon collision
- Nirbhaya case convicts to be hanged on March 3
- Bangladesh emerges as self-dignified country under Sheikh Hasina
- Road reformed with kerosene spray!
- Daulatdia brothel gets namaz-e-janaza for third time
- Sammy to receive honorary citizenship of Pakistan
- Schoolgirl takes poison for lover’s weeding
- Sri Lanka win by 1 wicket in vacillate 1st ODI
- Ryanair boss criticized for Muslim profiling comments
- Maulana Mehmood Madani to visit Dhaka
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangabandhu Book Corner for all primary schools
- Pension within 3-day of bill submission
- Man detained with large number yaba
- 9 hospitalized for drinking tea in Manikganj
- Govt decides to declare 2021 as Tourism Year
- Myanmar army plans trials for abuses on Rohingyas
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Good news to honey farmers
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Coronavirus infected more than 67,000 globally
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus
- Another Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in Singapore
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- Padma Bridge’s 25th span to be installed on Language Day
- Dhaka-10 by-polls; Those who are in talks