Ronaldo double seals new Juve record, Balde rescues Inter Milan
Published: 05:44 AM, 30 December 2018 Updated: 05:44 AM, 30 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice as voracious Italian champions Juventus finished 2018 on a high with a 2-1 win over Sampdoria to set a new points record in Serie A before the winter break as Inter Milan’s Senegalese winger Keita Balde scored the only goal in a win over Empoli days after the club were embroiled in a racism controversy.
Ronaldo curled in the opener after just two minutes in Turin adding a second from the penalty spot on 65 minutes, putting the Portuguese top of Serie A’s scoring charts on 14 goals.
Fabio Quagliarella pulled the Genoa outfit level with a penalty on 33 minutes, but a late Riccardo Saponara goal was ruled offside after consultation with the video assistant referee.
Coach Massimiliano Allegri said, “It was important to end the year on a high and it wasn’t at all easy.”
VAR proved decisive in the game with Sampdoria coach Marco Giampaolo, dismissing Ronaldo’s penalty as “a gift,” adding “that Saponara goal should never have been cancelled”.
“Juventus are strong, they consume everything. They are a cannibal,” said Giampaolo.
“For me, morally, the game was 2-2.”
Juventus open up a 12-point lead at the top of Serie A ahead of Napoli who can reduce the gap when they host Bologna later on Saturday.
Inter Milan are third two points behind Napoli.
Seven-time reigning champions Juventus also have a record number of points before the three-week winter break with 53 from 19 games.
“Records are meaningless, if not to improve and raise the bar,” said Allegri.
The reigning champions have dropped points just twice, being held 1-1 by Genoa at home in October and 2-2 against Atalanta midweek, and are firmly on track for an eighth consecutive Scudetto.
“With Ronaldo, the perception is different. He’s the best player in the world,” continued Allegri.
“37 points give or take a few, are missing for the Scudetto.” – Battle for Europe –
Ronaldo had come off the bench to score in Bergamo last Wednesday but returned to the starting line-up in the Allianz Stadium.
And the Portuguese striker found a way through early, picking up a Paulo Dybala cross to fire in past Sampdoria’s on loan Juventus goalkeeper Emil Audero.
Sampdoria pulled level following a penalty awarded following an Emre Can handball with Quagliarella making no mistake beating Mattia Perin in the Juventus goal.
The 35-year-old became the first player to score in nine consecutive Serie A games since David Trezeguet for Juventus in 2005.
Audero deflected over a Ronaldo header on the hour but the hosts went ahead when the referee pointed to the spot for an Alex Ferrari handball off a corner after a VAR viewing.
Substitute Saponara looked to have grabbed a point deep into injury time but VAR ruled he was in an offside.
“The first half of the season has gone really well,” said Ronaldo, “but there’s still a long way to go. We must stay focused and keep working away if we want to achieve great things.”
In Tuscany, Inter Milan earned back-to-back wins with Balde scoring on 72 minutes to move closer to Napoli, who they beat by the same scoreline amid controversy three days ago.
Luciano Spalletti’s side was playing without their fans after racist abuse aimed at Napoli’s Senegalese defender Kalidou Koulibaly in Milan.
“It was fundamental that we win this match,” said Spalletti.
Roma profitted from Sampdoria’s defeat to move up to fifth thanks to second half goals for Bryan Cristante (58) and Cengiz Under (75) in a 2-0 win over promoted Parma.
Lazio were held 1-1 by Torino in the Stadio Olimpico, as Atalanta beat Sassuolo 6-2 with Slovenian Josip Ilicic scoring a second-half hat-trick.
The battle for European football is tight with just six points between Lazio in fourth and Fiorentina in tenth position.
Meanwhile, bottom club Chievo achieved their first top flight success with a 1-0 win over fellow strugglers Frosinone.
- Man detained for anti-state campaign in capital
- Temperature may rise slightly
- Jordan Peele scares, and scores, again with new film ‘Us’
- BCL leader`s hanging body found in Madaripur
- 6-story building tilts in Balughat
- PM hands over Independence Award
- NZ PM orders inquiry into Christchurch massacre
- Trump `did not conspire with Russia`: Mueller report
- Country to remain one-minute silent today
- Rajasthan Royals to face Kings XI Punjab tonight
- PM hands over Independence Award today
- Nation observing Genocide Day
- Bangladesh eliminated from AFC U-23 Championship
- Nigeria make history after sealing U-19 WC spot
- Thai junta party takes lead in general polls
- Rumana receives ICC T20 team of the year cap
- Security beefed at diplomatic zone
- PM opens combined military hardware display 2019
- Japanese SEZ on 1,000 acres of land in Narayanganj
- Price fall in large-cap drives stocks down
- No exams upto class-III from this year
- Teachers-employees call off movement
- Shakib starts IPL campaign with defeat
- Jupiter`s unknown journey revealed
- 82,500 students get primary scholarships
- Shahnaz Rahmatullah laid to rest
- Shakib rings historic bell at Eden Gardens
- UN asked to declare March 25 carnage as genocide
- Voting ends, counting underway
- Only Bamboo Bridge for 16 villages
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Bangladesh eliminated from AFC U-23 Championship
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- HC revokes bail of Subarnachar rape accused
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- 2nd phase of polls in 116 UZs underway
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery decision today
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery underway
- Singer Shahnaj Rahmatullah dies