Ronaldo, Messi and Van Dijk shortlisted for FIFA award
Published: 07:23 PM, 2 September 2019
The Dutch international Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Virgil van Dijk have been named as the final three-man shortlist for FIFA's The Best men's award.
The same trio were nominated for UEFA's Player of the Year, with Liverpool's Van Dijk becoming the first defender to win the award at the Champions League draw ceremony last week.
Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric won the award last year, beating Ronaldo and Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah to the prize.
Pep Guardiola is among the contenders for The Best Men’s Coach award after guiding Manchester City to the English domestic treble last season.
Liverpool’s Jurgen Klopp is also nominated after taking the Merseysiders to a sixth Champions League success.
Mauricio Pochettino, whose Tottenham side were beaten by Liverpool in the Champions League final, completes the nominations.
Manchester City and Liverpool were also represented in The Best Goalkeeper category, with Brazilian duo Ederson and Alisson nominated along with Barcelona’s Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
Messi is also in contention for a second award with his chip for Barcelona against Real Betis in March nominated for the Puskas Award for goal of the season.
Juanfer Quintero’s free-kick for River Plate against Racing Club and Daniel Zsori’s strike for Hungarian side Debrecen and Ferencvaros are also nominated.
USA internationals Megan Rapinoe and Alex Morgan are nominated for The Best Women's Player. The duo scored six goals each at the Women’s World Cup in France for a share of the Golden Boot.
England star Lucy Bronze, completes the nominations for Women’s Best Player. The Lyon defender became the first English winner of UEFA’s Women’s Player of the Year award last week.
Jill Ellis and Phil Neville are in contention for the Women’s Coach of the Year. Ellis guided USA to World Cup success while Neville’s Lionesses reached the semi-finals.
Sarina Wiegman of the Netherlands, whose side finished runners-up, is also nominated.
Netherlands goalkeeper Sari van Veenendaal, Chile’s Christiane Endler and Sweden’s Hedvig Lindahl are nominated for the inaugural Best Women’s Goalkeeper award.
Silvia Grecco from Brazil, the Netherlands fans at the Women’s World Cup and Justo Sanchez from Uruguay are nominated for the Fan Award.
The nominations were announced at San Siro in Milan with the winners revealed at the Best FIFA Football Awards ceremony, also in Milan, on Monday, September 23.
- Winning start for Chattogram Abahani
- Kohli to miss T20I series over Bangladesh
- 11 Bangladeshis among 36 killed in Saudi road crash
- President flies to Japan Sunday
- Anti-Brexit activists march to parliament as MPs delay decision
- Siberian dam collapse kills 15
- Barcelona win to go top of La Liga
- Tasty ‘hog plum pickles’ recipe
- `Be prepared to prove yourself you are the best Hafez`
- Khulna need 108-run on final day
- Why you should eat Ginger every day
- European SolO probe ready to take on audacious mission
- Iraqi man charged over deaths of 350 Australia heading migrants
- Sharma, Rahane help India hit back after early wobble
- Nationwide protests erupt in Lebanon over impose tax on WhatsApp
- Misa-Moushumi vows to stand together
- Chile faces stormy protests over train ticket price hike
- Honduran president`s brother guilty of drug smuggling
- Exact time to charge phones
- Abrar murder chargesheet soon: HM
- BPL not the place to make a player: Shakib
- ‘Bangladesh to get highest assistance from WB’
- AL conference means new face: Quader
- 5000 cases filed over traffic irregularities
- Maxi López forgives and thanks Icardi for stealing wife
- RMF to support underprivileged children in Bangladesh
- Chicken soup in hotel style!
- Man now a newspaper hawker after 34yrs teaching
- City Bank MD alleged for sexual assault
- Body of elderly man recovered
- All News »
- Father killed child Tuhin, claim police
- Unseen ‘Miss World Bangladesh’ Rafah
- Child Tuhin murder: 2 relatives give statement
- Bangla TV to air Bangladesh-India match
- Brutality upon child Tuhin
- Sabila Nur gets married this month
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh
- Jubo League age decision at Ganabhaban: Quader
- PM urges UGC not to go beyond rules
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- Sunny, Al Amin recalled for India T20 series
- 35 pilgrims killed as bus crashes in Saudia Arabia
- Brutal murder of child: Case filed against 10
- Padma Bridge work progress 84 pc
- New labor laws in Qatar benefiting migrant workers
- Gold bars worth Tk 6.5cr recovered in Shah Amanat
- 3 including Indian national win Nobel Prize in Economics
- Japan keen to expand existing bilateral ties: Envoy
- Bangladesh becomes role model in disaster management: PM
- 2 pedestrians die after being hit by bus
- 3 women killed as truck hits human hauler
- Moushumi assaulted at BFDC
- Now father allegedly kills child in Faridpur
- Sourav Ganguly set to be president of BCCI
- BUET students’ call off protests
- PM for quick disposal of Abrar murder case
- Typhoon Hagibis: 11 killed in Japan
- Woman given ‘Talaq’ for alcohol, short dress!
- T20 World Cup Qualifier begins today
- ‘Fat Girl’ of sex video now the inspiration of ‘Olimpia Law’