Roads melt in Australia as heatwave hits
Published: 12:56 PM, 6 January 2018 Updated: 11:17 AM, 7 January 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Australia`s east coast is set to swelter over the weekend as Sydney and Melbourne are hit with a heatwave and the temperatures are expected to reach 40 degree Celsius.
Temperatures across parts of Victoria have increased above 40 degrees Celsius with the mercury expected to rise further ahead of a cool change forecast for Melbourne.
The CFA issued a state-wide fire ban in the hot and dry conditions with gusty winds that up to 80 kilometers per hour.
The temperatures outpouring on the busy highway on Friday and caused a huge traffic jam as drivers dodged the sticky mess.
As temperatures reach up to 40 degree Celsius, the residents have been advised to avoid the area and remain indoors over the weekend.
Temperatures are expected to reach 40C as residents took to the beach to cool off
Acting deputy chief officer Jeremy Smith said the Tasmanian Fire Service was preparing for an uncontrollable fire risk with extra crews and additional aircraft. He also said that any fire that is currently burning needs to be extinguished and we want to reinforce to the community.
Emergency authorities are watching for potential bushfires and urging residents to be prepared and to avoid heat stress. Two people have already been taken to hospital for near-drowning incidents.
On Saturday the temperature of Melbourne is set to 41°C and thousands of people took to the beach on Friday in preparation for a hot and dry weekend.
Agriculture Minister Jaala Pulford said if a fire breaks out, the emergency services are ready. She said that our emergency management agencies are well prepared with 49 aircraft on standby. she also advised people to be cautious about the condition.
The Bureau of Meteorology has warned of severe heat wave conditions for much of New South Wales across the weekend with the mercury expected to peak on Sunday. Parts of New South Wales are tipped to reach 45 degree Celsius on Saturday including Menindee in the far west and Ivanhoe in the state’s center.
- Treatment and medicine at Tk 5 only!
- Noble to fly for US
- RAB rescues abducted man from remote area, 4 held
- UNHCR praises Bangladesh
- Debiganj UNO office assistant killed in road crash
- Indian Cricket Board getting richer
- Day temp likely to fall (1-2) °C
- China’s hypersonic DF-17: Threat for regional stability
- Bede couple dies of snakebite in Satkhira
- Esha Gupta injures in road accident
- Android 10: Changes look of mobile OS
- Bride’s family cracked groom’s head in wedding gate
- Boris Johnson puts his feet up in Macron`s palace
- Miley Cyrus slams rumors she cheated on Liam Hemsworth
- Strict security in capital around Janmashtami
- Eng meets Aus in 2nd day of Ashes 3rd Test
- Housewife dies of dengue in Satkhira
- Gunfight between two groups kills drug trader in Satkhira
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Janmashtami today
- India’s ex-finance minister on 5-day remand
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Lightning kills 9 in 4 districts
- `Action against who discourage Rohingya `
- August 15 and 21 are in same knot
- First successful Air-raid in history
- Kashmir: Bone of contention between India-Pakistan
- Israel detains 16 Palestinians in West Bank raids
- Golden fibre makes farmer smile
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- World Mosquito Day today
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- Newlyweds die in road crash returning from honeymoon