Riyad hails Shakib as a ‘player of one generation’
Published: 08:09 PM, 14 December 2019
Bangladesh all-rounder Mahmdullah Riyad refused to compare himself with Shakib Al Hasan, rating his colleague as a rare player whom a country finds just once in a generation or even in a century.
Shakib currently has been serving a two-year ban, with one year of that suspended imposed by the International Cricket Council (ICC) due to his failure to report the corrupt approaches by bookies.
As Shakib is not with the team, Bangladesh felt the void created by absence in both batting and bowling as the all-rounder was equally handy in both departments.
Shakib who is the only player in the world who achieved the top spot in all three format of ICC all-rounder rankings concurrently indeed won Bangladesh many matches in all format, performing with both batting and bowling.
And he is a rare breed of player who is rated as a genuine all-rounder. Therefore, Mahmudullah doesn’t want to keep him in same league of Shakib.
He rather termed Shakib a player of a generation and said he couldn’t be like Shakib but he would be happy if he can contribute like Shakib in bowling also apart from his batting.
“I can’t compare myself with Shakib. It won’t be right indeed if I want to do that. It’s tough to get a player like Shakib in one generation. He is one and only. We all know how capable he is and what strong his cricketing skill and brain. If I can contribute in bowling like him, I will be very happy.
Mahmudullah’s comment came in the wake of a question of whether he could fill the void left by Shakib.
He said that he thinks himself as a batting all-rounder and he vowed to contribute well in bowling too if he gets the opportunity.
“In the last seven months, I didn’t bowl. Afif, Mosaddek bowled in this period and they did well. They have been in rhythm. If I feel that I am in rhythm I will try to take the challenge in bowling.”
- Housewife commits suicide in Pirojpur
- Call 999 while police harass: IGP
- Tigers to back a day earlier
- Zaheer Khan to be awarded Padma Shri
- Evaly becomes billionaire cheating with customers
- Student killed in Mymensingh road crash
- Action will be taken over clash in election campaign
- Tigers upbeat to avoid humiliating whitewash
- Satkhira pride schoolgirl committed suicide
- Meeting over China-Bangladesh travel ban Tuesday
- China stuck in Medical equipment crisis!
- Bangladesh to host Zimbabwe in Feb for full series
- No barrier to voting in EVMs: HC
- Problems need to be solved by planning: Tajul
- Iran executes ‘crocodile’
- Immune discovery may treat all cancer
- Farmer’s smile in vegetables farming
- 7 out of 8 employees absent in Upazila health office
- Coronavirus spread in 12 countries
- Assam trembled in multiple blast
- Sheikh Russel Water Treatment Plant inaugurated
- Woman set to marry plane, claims they’re dating for 6 yrs
- Coronavirus infected identified in Israel
- China lies over coronavirus infected, it topped .9 million!
- Atiqul unveils election manifesto
- Cold wave may abate in next 24 hours
- Mask-hand sanitizer sever crisis in China
- Chinese physicians in treatment-war amid coronavirus scary
- PM opens several uplift schemes
- 31 killed in Madagascar torrential rains
- All News »
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- ‘Dil Toh Happy Hai Ji’ actress Sejal Sharma commits suicide
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- E-passport to be launched today
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- Harry, Meghan to give up royal titles
- Comilla University’s 1st convocation Monday
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Fourth person has died from new virus: China
- Wife receives husband with ‘Milk-bath’ for divorce!
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack
- Seven killed in Indonesia bridge collapse