Request for 1yr VAT suspension in garment industry
Published: 03:51 PM, 2 April 2020
BGMEA has requested the government to suspend VAT of a year to recover business losses due to coronavirus.
BGMEA President Rubana Huq made the request in a letter to the Chairman of the National Board of Revenue (NBR).
The letter stated that the VAT related to the export-oriented garment industry should be suspended for one year. In addition, the time limit for depositing the documents for a bond audit during the emergency period should be extended to one year.
Rubana Huq said in the letter, the bonding period against the damaged export invoice needs to be extended for one more year. In addition, the notice to show the ongoing claims and reasons arising during the emergency period should be kept suspended for one year, after which the exemptions and penalties arising during the emergency period and VAT claim in the textile industry should be suspended for one year.
The COVID-19 is currently declared a global pandemic. In this situation, international brands and buyers are postponing their current purchases. In addition, future purchasing orders are also being reduced. Due to which the business is being damaged, and the export is having a negative impact.
The letter also said that the supply chain of the garment industry had collapsed due to coronavirus. As a result, raw materials cannot be imported in a timely manner. Because of that, the purchase will be canceled. And the stock lot will be created due to being unable to export the garments made by imported goods. Annual audits cannot be completed on time. Bond license renewal activities will be interrupted at certain times.
As a result, claims against the garment industry will arise for various reasons. Fines will be levied for failure to comply with customs laws. BGMEA seeks legal assistance to avoid these situations.
Regarding BGMEA's letter, NBR officials said that a letter will be sent to the Dhaka and Chittagong Bond Commissionerate to find out the rationale for the BGMEA’s demand. Their comments will be reviewed at the NBA's top level. Then the matter will be raised to the Finance Minister.
- Virat-Anushka divorce trend gets viral
- Quader urges not to do divisional politics
- 8 more positive tests for COVID-19 in Nabinagar
- Launch service without health security
- Over 6000 cops infected with COVID-19, 17 dead
- 2743 new infected in 24 hours, 42 dead
- IPL may place in Arab country!
- Coronavirus-infected Minister Bir Bahadur taken to CMH
- Low pressure area may form over Bay
- Five substitutions allowed in Serie A
- Village torched in Mali, 26 killed
- Coronavirus treatment: Turkish ray-therapy raises hopes for world
- Rohingya robber killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Two detained for selling disinfectants at extra price
- Bayern closer to win the 8th title in a row
- Brazil records highest 27,581daily coronavirus cases
- Ginger to remove hair problems
- Eating Cherry to prevent gastritis forever!
- Arjun Kapoor opens up on getting married
- Sammy was called `kalu` during IPL
- `Racism is an epidemic; vaccine is yet to discover in 400 yrs`
- Transport workers’ leader killed in Thakurgaon road crash
- 9 killed in 10 hrs in Sylhet thunder strikes
- Sri Lanka to reopen tourism in August with restrictions
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Rajinikanth COVID-19 positive, Rohit`s post on social media
- Huawei ‘Honor Play 4 Pro’ to measure body temperature
- Six-point: ‘Charter of Freedom’ for Bengalees
- India reports 10,000 infections for first time in 1 day
- 265 stranded Bangladeshis returned from Maldives
- All News »
- Dhaka under zone-based lockdown from Sunday
- Killing of 26 Bangladeshis in Libya: Main culprit killed in drone strike
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- BGMEA’s PCR lab for COVID-19 test opened
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Brutal murder story of Junko, who raped about 500 times in 44 day
- Over 2500 infected in 24 hours, 37 die
- 1,256 more freedom fighters listed
- Chinese COVID-19 fighters due June 8
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- 2,423 new infected, 35 die in 24 hours
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Refusal to marry after forced abortion, Chandana commits suicide
- 30 more die in country, 2,828 new infected
- 25 US cities impose curfews as protests continue
- 127 journalists die of COVID-19
- Gunmen kill 20 in Burkina Faso
- SSC result today: How to pre-register
- Record 816 coronavirus patients recover in a day
- PM to give final decision on COVID-19 red zone tomorrow
- Nearly 50000 test positive for COVID-19 in country
- Coronavirus death toll surging to 374,000
- New coronavirus losing potency
- Cyclone Nisarga to hit this afternoon
- First ever virtual ECNEC meeting today
- Main culprit of 26 Bangladeshis killing in Libya arrested
- PM announces waving Tk 2000cr bank interest of COVID-hit people