Regional military commanders reshuffled in Myanmar
Published: 04:49 PM, 25 April 2018
Nine regional military commanders were reshuffled under an order from the Office of Military Appointments under the Office of the Commander-in-Chief (Army).
Commander Maj-Gen Nyi Nyi Swe (Intake 30 of the Defense Services Academy, or DSA) of the Northern Command and Commander Maj-Gen Teza Kyaw (Intake 73 of the Officers Training School, or OTS) of the Southwest Command replaced each other’s post.
Commander Brig-Gen Khin Hlaing (Intake 17 of the Officers Training Course, or OTC) of the Northeast Command was replaced by Commander Maj-Gen Aung Zaw Aye (Intake 28 of the DSA) of the Triangle Region Command while Principal of the National Defense College Maj-Gen Moe Myo Aung (Intake 32) was transferred to the Southeast Command.
Commander Maj-Gen Win Min-Tun (Intake 27 of the DSA) of the Eastern Command and Commander Maj-Gen Lin Aung (Intake 27 of the DSA) of the Coastal Region Command replaced each other’s post.
Commander Maj-Gen Myat Kyaw (Intake 68 of the OTS) was replaced by Commander Maj-Gen Myo Win (Intake 71 of the OTS) of the Southeast Command while the former was transferred to the National Defense College.
Myanmar military observer, U Maung Maung Soe said such a reshuffle of commander posts is a very rare move for the Tatmadaw and is done only when completely necessary. When a commander retires for health reasons, the post is filled.
Maung Soe also said the commanders of light infantry divisions are promoted to commanders of regional commands, who are then promoted to heads of the Bureau of Special Operations.
He added that it is very difficult to guess the reason behind the reshuffle, but that the Myanmar military has to be prepared as it has been put on a United Nations blacklist and military tensions are mounting in Kachin State, Lashio and Karen State.
As Commander-in-Chief of Defense Services Senior-General Min Aung Hlaing has not yet retired although his retirement age has been reached, the next commander-in-chief of defence services might be chosen from the new generation, according to military sources.
Maj-Gen Moe Myint Tun (Intake 30 of the DSA) will be 55 years old in 2020 and he is tipped to be the next head of the Tatmadaw. He has risen through the ranks quickly, as the current Chief of General Staff (Army, Navy and Air) Gen Mya Tun Oo has as well.
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Saroj Mehedi
- Shakib star as Bangladesh beat Afghanistan
- Where Shakib is first
- BNP candidate Siraj wins Bogura-6 by-polls
- Ebola death toll breaks 1,500 mark in DRC
- Liton sends Ikram back by direct hit
- Shakib gets 4, Afghanistan`s 5 down
- Shakib removes Gulbadin, Nabi in same over
- Stocks perform mixed on higher transactions
- Mosaddek gets Hashmatullah 2 down for AFG
- AL has been strengthened by attack: Sheikh Hasina
- Shakib strikes his first over
- Russell ruled out of World Cup with injury
- Mushfiqur, Shakib takes Bangladesh to 262
- Arrest warrant issued against Mila
- Shakib first Bangladeshi to 1000 WC runs
- 7.3-magnitude quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami threat
- Nabi gets Tamim 2 down for Bangladesh
- Bangladesh lose Liton early
- HC seeks info on unfit vehicles and drivers
- 14 killed as India tent collapses during religious gathering
- JCD factions clash at Nayapaltan, cocktails blast
- Tigers to bat first after losing toss
- Argentina beat Qatar to qualify for last eight
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 14th span of Padma Bridge to be installed Jun 28
- Heat wave may continue and spread
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- All News »
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- World population to increase 2 bn by 2050: UN report
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Probe report submission deferred again
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- Ijtema photo wins National Geographic prize
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia