Regional military commanders reshuffled in Myanmar
Published: 04:49 PM, 25 April 2018
Nine regional military commanders were reshuffled under an order from the Office of Military Appointments under the Office of the Commander-in-Chief (Army).
Commander Maj-Gen Nyi Nyi Swe (Intake 30 of the Defense Services Academy, or DSA) of the Northern Command and Commander Maj-Gen Teza Kyaw (Intake 73 of the Officers Training School, or OTS) of the Southwest Command replaced each other’s post.
Commander Brig-Gen Khin Hlaing (Intake 17 of the Officers Training Course, or OTC) of the Northeast Command was replaced by Commander Maj-Gen Aung Zaw Aye (Intake 28 of the DSA) of the Triangle Region Command while Principal of the National Defense College Maj-Gen Moe Myo Aung (Intake 32) was transferred to the Southeast Command.
Commander Maj-Gen Win Min-Tun (Intake 27 of the DSA) of the Eastern Command and Commander Maj-Gen Lin Aung (Intake 27 of the DSA) of the Coastal Region Command replaced each other’s post.
Commander Maj-Gen Myat Kyaw (Intake 68 of the OTS) was replaced by Commander Maj-Gen Myo Win (Intake 71 of the OTS) of the Southeast Command while the former was transferred to the National Defense College.
Myanmar military observer, U Maung Maung Soe said such a reshuffle of commander posts is a very rare move for the Tatmadaw and is done only when completely necessary. When a commander retires for health reasons, the post is filled.
Maung Soe also said the commanders of light infantry divisions are promoted to commanders of regional commands, who are then promoted to heads of the Bureau of Special Operations.
He added that it is very difficult to guess the reason behind the reshuffle, but that the Myanmar military has to be prepared as it has been put on a United Nations blacklist and military tensions are mounting in Kachin State, Lashio and Karen State.
As Commander-in-Chief of Defense Services Senior-General Min Aung Hlaing has not yet retired although his retirement age has been reached, the next commander-in-chief of defence services might be chosen from the new generation, according to military sources.
Maj-Gen Moe Myint Tun (Intake 30 of the DSA) will be 55 years old in 2020 and he is tipped to be the next head of the Tatmadaw. He has risen through the ranks quickly, as the current Chief of General Staff (Army, Navy and Air) Gen Mya Tun Oo has as well.
- Make popcorn at home
- Woman teems 4 children at once
- Mentally disabled man memorizes entire Holy Quran
- ‘Enjoy rape in failure to prevent’
- Chris: World’s heaviest sheep ever
- Alia-Ranbir wedding card revealed!
- ‘Nagad’ account in 1 minute
- Govt incentive surges remittance flow
- Goat morsels plant: Youth killed in scuffle
- MPO Enroll: Priority given to remote areas’ insts
- 4 companies fined in Chandina market
- FICA supports players’ strike
- ECNEC clears 5 projects of Tk 4636.80 cr
- No ‘Classical Music Festival’ this year
- Asif plays villain in debut!
- 37th BCS Non-cadre result published
- OC dismissed for intercedes Razakar
- Sand imported from China instead of cotton
- No Salary for 27 months despite daily attendance Tk 60
- UK team meets DU VC
- Nusrat murder case verdict Oct 24
- Way to use body scrubber to get brighter skin
- NBR gets time to report on chemical testing unit
- 157 dead in Iraq protests: new official toll
- Bimal Biswas left WPB
- Hearing on Robi’s due appeal Thursday
- Cricketers’ movement unexpected: Papon
- Amitabh apologizes, storm on social media
- Banning unlicensed easybike-rickshaw in city
- Stop unhealthy race on roads: PM
- All News »
- Pooja Zunjar, new born baby die as family fails to get ambulance
- Child Tuhin murder: 2 relatives give statement
- JMI Hospital Requisite holds IPO road show
- Padma Bank Limited receive insurance cheque
- Now father allegedly kills child in Faridpur
- 3 women killed as truck hits human hauler
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh
- Jubo League age decision at Ganabhaban: Quader
- Brutal murder of child: Case filed against 10
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- Abrar murder chargesheet soon: HM
- PM urges UGC not to go beyond rules
- Sunny, Al Amin recalled for India T20 series
- Siddik has relations with multiple girls, alleges wife Mim
- New labor laws in Qatar benefiting migrant workers
- 35 pilgrims killed as bus crashes in Saudia Arabia
- Padma Bridge work progress 84 pc
- Gold bars worth Tk 6.5cr recovered in Shah Amanat
- DU ‘Ka’, ‘Cha’ unit admission test results tomorrow
- Johnson sends unsigned letter to EU for Brexit delay
- Japan keen to expand existing bilateral ties: Envoy
- 2 pedestrians die after being hit by bus
- T20 World Cup Qualifier begins today
- ‘Kathin Chibar Dan’ being celebrated
- BUET students’ call off protests
- 9 addl judges appointed to HC
- City Bank MD alleged for sexual assault
- DU ‘A’ unit admission test result postponed
- Sabila Nur’s honeymoon preparation!
- ‘Kurigram Express’ to be launched today