Regent Hospital’s Mirpur branch also sealed...

Dhaka, Tuesday   11 August 2020

Beximco LPG Gas

Regent Hospital’s Mirpur branch also sealed

 Staff Correspondent

 Published: 07:00 PM, 8 July 2020  

File Photo

File Photo

After sealing Regent Hospital’s Uttara branch in the capital, the Mirpur branch has also sealed on Wednesday, said RAB. 

Earlier on Tuesday, RAB raided the Uttara branch of Regent Hospital on various charges including breach of contract, collection of bills from coronavirus patients, and making fake reports.

A case has been lodged against 17 people by making Md. Shahed, chairman of the Regent Hospital, the main culprit. Eight people have been arrested. There are nine fugitives including Shahed.

A team led by RAB Executive Magistrate Sarwar Alam sealed the Regent Hospital in Mirpur-12 around 4:30 pm on Wednesday. The hospital was treating coronavirus patients until Tuesday and told the patients to evacuate by law enforcers. The patients left the hospital before it sealed.

Regarding the raid, RAB executive magistrate Sarwar said the Regent’s Mirpur branch hospital had committed various frauds in the treatment of coronavirus patients. They would not test the sample of the patients but would charge Tk 3,500 for each test. “In 2018, we raided this hospital in Mirpur and issued a warning,” he also said.

The allegations against the Regent Hospital authorities – the hospital used to make fake reports without testing Covid-19 samples. They were supposed to provide free treatment for the virus patients, however, the private hospital has billed lakh takas per patient. They submitted a bill of more than Tk 1.96 crore to the government for providing free treatment to the patients. Regent Hospital has so far treated 200 Covid-19 patients.

The hospital was supposed to test the Covid-19 patient for free as per the government agreement, but they have tested free samples of 4,200 patients from IEDCR, ITH and Nipsom and made fake reports of three times more people without testing the sample.

The DGHS has ordered the shutdown of two branches of the Regent Hospital over the allegations.