Real Madrid beats Valencia 2-0 to rebound in Spanish league
Published: 10:31 AM, 2 December 2018 Updated: 10:31 AM, 2 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Real Madrid has found some peace again after the humiliating loss to Eibar in the Spanish league. Madrid followed the 3-0 loss at Eibar with a 2-0 win over red-hot Valencia on Saturday.
The victory over Valencia, which had won three straight in the league, moved Madrid from sixth to fifth in the standings, three points behind leader Sevilla and two points behind second-place Barcelona.
Sevilla visits fourth-place Alaves on Sunday, while Barcelona hosts Villarreal. Third-place Atletico Madrid, two points off the lead, visits Girona.
Valencia lost at Juventus 1-0 in the Champions League on Tuesday, a result that ended its chances of advancing from the group stage. Madrid won at Roma 2-0 to advance.
"We played well in Rome and again today," coach Santiago Solari said. "Credit to the players."
Playing at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium for the first time after four straight away games, Madrid was loudly cheered by fans after the match, despite a lackluster second half.
"I want us to play more as we did in the first half," Solari said. "In the second half things changed because Valencia needed to equalize and took more risks."
Madrid started well and opened the scoring less than 10 minutes in with an own-goal by Daniel Wass while trying to clear a cross from Dani Carvajal to Karim Benzema. The French striker set up Lucas Vazquez's 83rd-minute goal from close range to seal the victory.
There were some jeers for Gareth Bale after another mediocre display when he was substituted for Marco Asensio in the second half. Luka Modric also was replaced, by Federico Valverde.
Francisco "Isco" Alarcon, out of favor with Solari, entered the match in the 80th to a loud ovation from the crowd.
Valencia dropped to 13th in the standings.
"We played great in the second half," Valencia coach Marcelino Garcia Toral said. "I wouldn't say the result wasn't fair, but we had our chances to earn a draw."
- Woman commits suicide after poisoning 2 children
- Motorcyclist killed in Manikganj road crash
- Papua New Guinea PM Peter O`Neill resigns
- Two killed as covered van hits pickup
- England, Australia to play WC Warm Up today
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Shakib on the brink of another milestone
- Mozammel to join Modi’s oath ceremony
- Iraq sentences 3 Frenchmen to death
- PM to leave home for 12-day tour Tuesday
- Miraz vows to cover up Tigers’ lack of leg-spinner
- Don`t want to see BRTC bankrupt: Quader
- Mahathir expected to visit Bangladesh at ‘year-end’
- Bangladesh-Japan to sign $2.5 bl ODA
- Habitual coffee drinkers really do wake up and smell coffee
- Study predicts shift to smaller animals over next century
- Exotic matter uncovered in the sun`s atmosphere
- PBI proves ex-Sonagazi OC `fault` in DSA
- Modi to take oath on Thursday
- IGP calls for increasing security ahead of Eid
- Bangladesh`s warm-up abandoned due to rain
- JS body urge to complete “Swadhinata Stambha” soon
- Eid Jamaat at 8:30 am
- 6 hours’ road reduced to 1.5 hour
- Hasan urges BNP not to do ‘ill politics’ over Khaleda’s health
- EC, Local Govt Division get new secretaries
- Cannes 2019: All the winners and losers of this year`s festival
- 72nd Cannes film festival winners at a glance
- Magnitude 8 earthquake strikes Peru
- Historical Conquest of Mecca
- All News »
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Adventurous operation BEKPA-2 (Episode-1) under Captain Touquir
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- `Final should not decide my future`
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- PM inaugurates Panchagarh Express
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- 29 fake question leakers held in Satkhira
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- Panchagarh Express starts journey today
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part II)
- Highest power generation recorded
- When Jail-guard are ‘drug dealers’!
- Archer named in England World Cup squad
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized
- Mango bean to control diabetes
- Quader for salary, bonus before 25th Ramadan
- 4 of a family killed in gas cylinder blast