Real Madrid beats Valencia 2-0 to rebound in Spanish league
Published: 10:31 AM, 2 December 2018 Updated: 10:31 AM, 2 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Real Madrid has found some peace again after the humiliating loss to Eibar in the Spanish league. Madrid followed the 3-0 loss at Eibar with a 2-0 win over red-hot Valencia on Saturday.
The victory over Valencia, which had won three straight in the league, moved Madrid from sixth to fifth in the standings, three points behind leader Sevilla and two points behind second-place Barcelona.
Sevilla visits fourth-place Alaves on Sunday, while Barcelona hosts Villarreal. Third-place Atletico Madrid, two points off the lead, visits Girona.
Valencia lost at Juventus 1-0 in the Champions League on Tuesday, a result that ended its chances of advancing from the group stage. Madrid won at Roma 2-0 to advance.
"We played well in Rome and again today," coach Santiago Solari said. "Credit to the players."
Playing at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium for the first time after four straight away games, Madrid was loudly cheered by fans after the match, despite a lackluster second half.
"I want us to play more as we did in the first half," Solari said. "In the second half things changed because Valencia needed to equalize and took more risks."
Madrid started well and opened the scoring less than 10 minutes in with an own-goal by Daniel Wass while trying to clear a cross from Dani Carvajal to Karim Benzema. The French striker set up Lucas Vazquez's 83rd-minute goal from close range to seal the victory.
There were some jeers for Gareth Bale after another mediocre display when he was substituted for Marco Asensio in the second half. Luka Modric also was replaced, by Federico Valverde.
Francisco "Isco" Alarcon, out of favor with Solari, entered the match in the 80th to a loud ovation from the crowd.
Valencia dropped to 13th in the standings.
"We played great in the second half," Valencia coach Marcelino Garcia Toral said. "I wouldn't say the result wasn't fair, but we had our chances to earn a draw."
- Mola in ponds improves others` nutritional quality
- Transplantation of boro paddy seedling gets momentum
- NASA greenlights SpaceX crew capsule test to ISS
- Two killed in Pekua clash
- We are on a rise as a team: Hetmyer
- UN Secy General condoles deaths in Chawkbazar fire
- Sadman, Riyad, Miraz strikes fifty in warm-up
- 7 drug traders among 30 held in Dinajpur
- Village doctor shot dead in Teknaf
- Dry weather with partly cloudy sky likely
- ‘Chemical godowns not removed despite drives is regretful’
- 1,482 bottles of Phensidyl recovered in Jashore
- Father, son among 4 killed in road crashes
- Sudan President declares year-long state of emergency
- PM at burn unit of DMCH
- 50 die after drinking poisonous liquor in India
- 5 decades of Bangabandhu title
- PM to visit Chawkbazar fire victims at DMCH today
- La Liga: Barcelona to face Sevilla tonight
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Students’ council formed in 8,684 schools
- Fire broke in Cumilla Moon Hospital
- Evidence of ‘chemical’ connection to Churihatta fire found
- Wazed Mia works for humanity: Speaker
- Ultra-processed foods links cancer risk
- 10 shops gutted in Melandaha
- None would be able to destroy Bengali culture: PM
- Kartoa land more fertile for tea: Experts
- BNP’s anti-govt comts over city fire improper: Hasan
- All News »
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- BNP chalks out 2-day programme to mark Feb 21
- Shop gutted in Sylhet fire