Real Madrid and the never-ending crisis
Published: 07:34 PM, 7 January 2019 Updated: 07:34 PM, 7 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Any reaction that was initially shown from Real Madrid under Santiago Solari's stewardship has now disappeared.
Nothing lingers from those initial games in which it seemed that the Argentine's arrival pointed to a change in Los Blancos' erratic season.
If in the early games it seemed that even luck had changed and was with Solari and his players, but that isn't the case anymore.
Having completed the Club World Cup challenge and won it once more, aided by River Plate's fall in the semi-finals, the return of LaLiga Santander has ensured that crisis is now the word being associated with them once more.They are 10 points off Barcelona in January and are outside the Champions League qualification positions, keeping the dark clouds over the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu.
When Julen Lopetegui was dismissed after the 5-1 defeat at the Camp Nou, Real Madrid were seven points off the Blaugrana.
As they woke up on Monday, that gap was now into double figures after their defeat against Real Sociedad and Barcelona's win at Getafe.
Even worse for Real Madrid is that their struggles in recent games have been against teams who are fighting in the bottom half of the table.
They beat Huesca and Rayo Vallecano, but had to suffer and found it hard to do so before being unable to beat Villarreal.
These are three teams who all occupied the relegation positions.
The first defeat for Solari on home turf in the league came against a Real Sociedad side who had changed their coach before the end of the year and came in with four defeats in a row in the league.
In addition, until their victory on Sunday Real Sociedad had only won three times on their previous 71 visits to the stadium.
The 2-0 defeat on Sunday takes Real Madrid's defeats tally for the campaign to nine, with the season starting with a loss in Tallinn against Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Super Cup.
In 29 games, they have already been beaten in the same amount of matches as they were in the entirety of last season, which lasted 62 games.
That is equivalent to being beaten in 31 percent of games this year, in comparison with 14.5 percent last season.
In addition, there have also been seven matches in which Los Blancos have failed to find the net, something that only happened on six occasions last year.
The 26 goals they have managed in 18 LaLiga Santander games is their lowest amount after that amount of fixtures since their paltry 25 in the 1991/92 season and their six defeats at this point is also the most since 2005/06.
The big problem for Real Madrid is that they have already burned their coaching change card for the campaign.
Sacking Lopetegui and putting Solari in charge, theoretically until 2021, was supposed to placate the problems on the bench.
The passing of each game and the damage that has been done in the first two games of 2019 has weakened Solari's position, not helped by his recent comments.It was a day when Luka Modric could have made excuses about the defeat on Sunday.
There was a penalty was not awarded to Vinicius and they missed a number of chances.But, instead, the Croatian preferred to face up to the team's problems with an open heart and hard comments designed to motivate his teammates, directed at them more than the coach.
"You have to speak clearly, it is not a matter of luck as we are creating a lot but the ball isn't going in and we gave in," he said."There are reasons that explain why things aren't going well.
"The referee didn't have the best day, but our problem is not him or VAR, although they haven't helped us."However, our issues are elsewhere.
"Many of us are not at our best level and we can't take a s**t at the beginning of every game."Sergio Ramos, the side's captain, had thoughts along the same lines, but was more measured in his approach.
"We'll say things to each other's face as that is the way we do it, and we will talk behind closed doors about things to each other," he said."We need a reaction and a change but without pulling our hair out.
"Not picking up three points is making the league more complicated."It doesn't help Real Madrid that their next two league matches are against top opposition like Real Betis and Sevilla.
- Dustbin at hospital’s entrance
- Rifat’s body on way to Barguna
- HM declares stern action against Rifat’s killers
- ‘Bangabandhu struggled whole life for two purposes’
- Those who stood, mainly blocked our way: Rifat’s wife
- Issue alert on boarder: HC to IGP
- Rohit falls early as India bat first
- Hackers steal data from telecoms: cyber firm
- Rural women making own fortune in Rangpur region
- Temperature may fall further
- New Silex malware bricks 2000 plus IoT devices
- Deputy Attorney Generals appointed before 2017 asked to resign
- Barguna murder: HC seeks info about ‘action’ taken within noon
- Rape accused killed in Sitakunda gunfight
- 1 held over brutal murder of Barguna man
- Mahbubur to die for killing Ranada Prasad Shaha
- How US aggressively flexed its cyber warfare powers under Trump
- US carried out cyberattacks on Iran: reports
- UN warns of telecom blackout cover for Myanmar military abuses
- Verdict on Ranada Prasad Shaha murder case today
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- Expatriate to jail praying bail
- Trump warns any conflict with Iran `wouldn`t last long`
- All News »
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- Say Alhamdulillah
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Malaysia calls for ‘justice’ for Rohingyas
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Primary recruit exam: 6 held over fake question trafficking
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- Argentina and Qatar set for crucial Copa America match
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Heartbreaking photo of dead migrants stirs outrage