Re-impose UN arms embargo on Iran: Pompeo
Published: 10:15 AM, 9 July 2020
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has reiterated his baseless allegations on Wednesday against Iran and called for the U.N. Security Council to extend an arms embargo on Iran.
"The Security Council must extend the arms embargo on Iran to prevent further conflict in the region," Pompeo told a State Department news conference. "No serious person can possibly believe Iran will use any weapon it receives for peaceful ends."
He quoted Secretary-General Antonio Guterres' report on UN Security Council Resolution 2231, claiming that Iran was sending weapons to Houthi rebels in Yemen.
The U.S. secretary of state claimed that Iran had sent some RPGs for Ansarullah in a boat that had been captured, an eyewitness said. Pompeo also stressed the need to renew anti-Iran sanctions, saying the Security Council should renew the arms embargo on Iran.
Pompeo is leading a U.S. drive to persuade the Security Council to extend the embargo due to expire in mid-October under the terms of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal from which the United States withdrew in 2018.
Washington recently distributed a draft resolution to UN Security Council member states to renew its arms embargo on Iran. Although European countries have favored the resolution, two permanent members of the Security Council, China and Russia, have stated opposition to use it.