DU student rape
Rapist Majnu; who is he?
Published: 01:12 PM, 8 January 2020 Updated: 02:13 PM, 8 January 2020
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) arrested the rapist of a Dhaka University (DU) female student on Tuesday night. The arrested rapist was identified as Majnu, 28, who occasionally worked as a hawker selling clothes, said RAB.
Confirming the information, the director of the legal and media wing of RAB Lieutenant Colonel Sarwar Bin Kashem said that the photo of Majnu was shown to the victim. She identified him as a rapist. The rapist Majnu admitted his crime in the primary interrogation of RAB.
On Sunday night, the second-year DU student was raped in the capital’s Kurmitola area. Her friends said that she was picked up by an unidentified man after she got down from a university bus around 7:00 pm and was made unconscious. Later, the miscreant took her to a nearby place and raped her.
The victim regained her senses around 10:00 pm and contacted her classmates. Later, she was admitted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) around midnight. She is now undergoing treatment at the One-Stop Crisis Centre (OSCC) of the hospital.
After the incident, DU students blocked Shahbagh intersection for two hours on Monday and gave the authorities a 24-hour ultimatum for arresting those involved in the rape. On information, the DU proctor, teachers and students visited her.
On Monday, the rape victim informed police that the perpetrator was alone. She also described the rapist in her statement to a law enforcement agency. "Aged between 25 and 30; height around five and a half feet; tan complexion; short hair; and clad in an old pair of jeans and a dirty black jacket" - the victim described the rapist.
Following her statement, the law enforcers made a sketch of the culprit. They also analysed the footage of the CCTVs installed in the area near the crime scene and arrested Majnu last night.
- PM for integrated development plans
- South Africa level T20 series over Australia
- Women’s Euro 2021 to kick off at Old Trafford
- Du Preez the hero as South Africa beat England
- Experience the world with Samsung Galaxy S20 series
- 6 of same family receive burn injury in Sirajganj
- Sheikh Hasina pushes country forward, others retreat
- Malaysia to form new government!
- Fake BGB member detained in Dinajpur
- Carter Center delegation calls on Chief Information Commissioner
- Qatar expat Bangladeshi`s body found in friend`s refrigerator!
- 3 held with yaba in DU residential building
- 4 detained with phensidyl in Sirajganj
- President asks Army to get ready for supreme sacrifice
- Youth held in anti-narcotic drive in Sylhet
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- 1 detained with weed in Cumilla
- Turkey and Pakistan close borders with Iran
- Officials have to reach farmers’ doors: Abdur Razzak
- South Zone in command as Farhad hits ton
- 23 Feb golden day of Bengali nation
- 2 CoU students join SAUFEST-2020
- 5 held in anti-narcotic drive in Rangpur
- DMP detained 54 in anti-narcotic drive
- Handsome salary for less educated!
- 2 killed as bus hits motorcycle in Capital
- Youth detained with yaba in Manikganj
- 1 killed in Gopalganj road crash
- Two rookies in ODI squad
- GP pays Tk 1,000 crore to BTRC
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Good news to honey farmers
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar