DU student rape
Rapist Majnu hailing from Noakhali
Published: 02:04 PM, 8 January 2020 Updated: 02:07 PM, 8 January 2020
Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) arrested the rapist of a Dhaka University (DU) female student on Tuesday night. The arrested rapist was identified as Majnu, 28, who occasionally worked as a hawker selling clothes, said RAB.
Confirming the information, the director of the legal and media wing of RAB Lieutenant Colonel Sarwar Bin Kashem said that the photo of Majnu was shown to the victim. She identified him as a rapist. The rapist Majnu admitted his crime in the primary interrogation of RAB.
RAB said that victim's mobile phone, charger, bag, some other items belonging to her and torchlight were also recovered. Rapist Majnu, hailing from Hatiya of Noakhali district, lived in Tongi area of Gazipur. Occasionally, he stayed in the compartment of the abandoned trains in the Kurmitola area.
On Sunday night, the second-year DU student was raped in the capital’s Kurmitola area. Her friends said that she was picked up by an unidentified man after she got down from a university bus around 7:00 pm and was made unconscious. Later, the miscreant took her to a nearby place and raped her.
The victim regained her senses around 10:00 pm and contacted her classmates. Later, she was admitted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) around midnight. She is now undergoing treatment at the One-Stop Crisis Centre (OSCC) of the hospital.
After the incident, DU students blocked Shahbagh intersection for two hours on Monday and gave the authorities a 24-hour ultimatum for arresting those involved in the rape. On information, the DU proctor, teachers and students visited her.
On Monday, the rape victim informed police that the perpetrator was alone. She also described the rapist in her statement to a law enforcement agency. "Aged between 25 and 30; height around five and a half feet; tan complexion; short hair; and clad in an old pair of jeans and a dirty black jacket" - the victim described the rapist.
Following her statement, the law enforcers made a sketch of the culprit. They also analysed the footage of the CCTVs installed in the area near the crime scene and arrested Majnu last night.
- Police involved in Delhi mosque blaze incident
- Handover book to children, not smartphone: Information Minister
- 15 families confined over fence
- China to send 100,000 ducks to battle Pakistan’s locust plague
- 12 Jamaat-e-Islami activists sent to Jail
- Airport underpass being launched on Bangabandhu’s birthday
- 2 detained with 66kg weed in Natore
- Drug smuggler caught at airport with yaba in stomach
- Perera, Pradeep back in Sri Lanka T20 squad
- College girl on deathbed in torture of ‘Jiner Badshah’
- Youth arrested with 10,000 pc. of yaba
- Drug dealer detained with yaba in Pirojpur
- All from Cox’s Bazar Land Acquisition Branch immediately transferred
- Quota system reformed in Class-XI admission
- 11kg silver seized at Satkhira border
- ‘Shukno Golap’ of Nahid released
- BD in top among hilsa enriched countries
- BD women’s T20 WC ends with two straight defeats
- Take measures to control mosquitoes ahead of rainy season: PM
- Germany suspends cooperation with Myanmar until Rohingya repatriation
- Don’t work without appointment letter: Hasan Mahmud urges journalists
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Ways to remove dirk circle under eyes in 10 minutes!
- Bangladesh under pressure losing openers
- 4 brick kilns demolished, fined Tk 14 lakh
- Khaleda’s bail plea rejected
- Garbage stack removed from Habiganj hospital gate
- Mamata Banerjee’s poem amid Delhi violence
- Italy expats urged to stay uppermost alert
- Acid thrown to make Muslims eyeless in Delhi
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Salman Shah`s wishes fulfilled: Samira
- Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- 3 killed after crane crashes on sets of Kamal Haasan
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Fire kills 3 incl child in capital’s Eskaton
- Chinese President lauds Sheikh Hasina
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- 112 more die of coronavirus
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- 120 terrorists killed in Niger military operation
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test