Bangladesh to diplomats
Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
Published: 02:31 PM, 12 June 2019 Updated: 08:15 PM, 12 June 2019
Bangladesh on Wednesday urged the international community to ramp up pressure on Myanmar so that it creates a conducive environment for Rohingya repatriation.
Bangladesh clarified its position about the matter, said Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen, after briefing diplomats stationed in Dhaka this morning.
“They told us that they’re with us. We told them to increase pressure on Myanmar to create a conducive environment,” he told the media. “Almost all of them agreed to do so.”
In the briefing at State Guest House Padma, Momen expressed dissatisfaction over Myanmar’s failure to ensure security and conducive environment in Rakhine State in line with the provisions of the bilateral instrument for the repatriation of Rohingyas.
Bangladesh is now hosting over 1.2 million Rohingyas. Most of them came here after the Myanmar military launched a brutal offensive in the pretext of a ‘clearance operation’ on August 25, 2017.
Refugees and rights groups have accused the military and its local collaborators of crimes, including murder, rape, torture, loot, and arson.
UN’s top human rights official described Myanmar’s crackdown and treatment of Rohingyas as a “textbook example of ethnic cleansing”.
Although Dhaka and Nay Pyi Taw have signed an agreement for repatriation, there has apparently been no progress.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has blamed Myanmar’s reluctance to take back its people as a major barrier to the repatriation. “The problem lies with Myanmar. It (Myanmar) in no way wants to take them back. There’s the problem,” she told the media on Sunday.
During Wednesday’s briefing, Foreign Minister Momen sought comprehensive engagements and decisive actions from the international community for the earliest repatriation of the forcibly displaced Rohingya population and their reintegration in Myanmar with safety and dignity.
- DIG Mizan arrested in bribery case
- Artificial milk production: Cost TK 6, Sell TK 61!
- HC fixed further time for Greenline
- Abduction, blackmale then ransom
- Rooppur pillow issue: HC waits for ministry’s action
- Verdict against 5 Gaibandha Razakars any day
- Rajshahi Kings sign JP Duminy
- Death convict surrendered
- Law minister doesn’t consider Priya’s statement as seditious offence
- BJP politician downs Darwin’s theory of evolution
- No action to be taken hastily against Priya Saha: Quader
- 7 including 4 cops killed in dual blast in Pakistan
- WhatsApp: Security & privacy
- Tractor rams motorcyclist in Dinajpur
- Fire at Banani multi-storey building again
- Eating burger links chronic diseases!
- Hammerhead shark found first-ever
- Court denies bail for Minni
- Drug peddler killed in Teknaf gunfight
- 28 killed in N. Afghanistan airstrike
- Heatwave in U.S. kills 6
- Rain likely to increase in next 72 hrs
- Bail hearing for Minni today
- Death toll hits 15 in Chinese gas plant explosion
- 2 sedition cases filed against Priya Saha
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- Not only diplomacy but economic issues should also be emphasised
- Over 22,000 rally in Moscow for fair polls
- Today’s sports on TV
- Zimbabwe not taking part Bangladesh T20 tri-series
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- HM Ershad passes away
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- How to get HSC result
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Minni sent to jail
- PM urges DCs to be sincere for accelerated development
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur