CEC to declare polls schedule tomorrow
Published: 04:39 PM, 7 November 2018 Updated: 04:39 PM, 7 November 2018
Chief Election Officer (CEC) KM Nurul Huda; File Photo
Chief Election Officer (CEC) KM Nurul Huda will be declaring the schedule for 11th national parliamentary polls tomorrow (Thursday).
A press release issued by the Election Commission on Wednesday said that the declaration will be televised live in national broadcasters at 7:00 pm.
This comes in line with the previous statements of CEC and ruling alliance that there will be no delay in announcing the schedule.
Meanwhile, all the opposition parties and alliances have demanded to hold the general election under a nonpartisan government and dissolution of the parliament ahead of it.
However, ruling party Awami League has repeatedly asserted that it will keep to the constitution – meaning that the election will be held under its government.
Apart from this major issue, there are several other major demands, like the release of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia from jail and use of electronic voting.
Also, the opposition parties have been accusing the Election Commission of subservience to the government and walking the path as instructed to it.
Apart from this, the ruling party held talks with the Jatiya Oikyafront in the first round of dialogue that was on November 1. And today, the second round of talks with the ruling alliance, with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in the chair, was held in Gonobhaban.
Besides, Awami League has held talks with Jatiya Party and BikalpaDhara-led alliance Juktofront, Islamic Democratic Alliance and Left Democratic Alliance.
- Price fall in large-cap drives stocks down
- No exams upto class-III from this year
- Teachers-employees call off movement
- Shakib starts IPL campaign with defeat
- Jupiter`s unknown journey revealed
- 82,500 students get primary scholarships
- Shahnaz Rahmatullah laid to rest
- Shakib rings historic bell at Eden Gardens
- UN asked to declare March 25 carnage as genocide
- Voting ends, counting underway
- Only Bamboo Bridge for 16 villages
- Hasnain debuts as Pakistan bat in 2nd ODI against Australia
- Dog `fakes own death` in dramatic reaction
- BNP neither in court, nor in field: Tofail Ahmed
- Postman died for 21 min, then came back to life
- Mass Killing Day tomorrow
- PM mourns death of singer Shahnaz Rahmatullah
- NZ to hold national remembrance next Friday
- Court set Apr 29 for reports submission over DU violence cases
- Hasan Mahmud consoles death of Shahnaj Rahmatullah
- Two killed in trucks collision in Dinajpur
- Ass presiding officer detained in Daulatpur
- UN Undersecretary General meets PM
- Voting underway in Thailand`s election
- World Tuberculosis Day today
- Bus driver detained over SAU student murder
- Students block Dhaka-Mymensingh-Tangail highway at Gazipur
- Bollywood’s 64th Filmfare Awards 2019
- Dry weather likely till tomorrow morning
- Dry weather likely till tomorrow morning
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Hard-hitter Sabbir gets hitched
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- Nation celebrates Bangabandhu’s 100th birthday
- 2nd phase of polls in 116 UZs underway