Rajinikanth joins politics in Tamil Nadu
Published: 04:40 PM, 31 December 2017 Updated: 11:35 AM, 2 January 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Popular Indian film star Rajinikanth, who works mostly in Tamil cinema, announced his entry into politics in his state Tamil Nadu on Sunday; ending the months-long suspense which had kept his fans, observers, politicians and fellow film stars on tenterhooks for months.
The film star said to his cheering supporters that his objective is to change the system and bring good governance to Tamil Nadu. Rajinikanth called for a political change and appealed to his fans to bring all sections of society into the fold.
"I do not want cadres. I want watchdogs," the 67-year-old said.
After announced of Rajinikanth, first among those to congratulate him was his cinema, and perhaps, political rival Kamal Haasan. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) also welcomed him, saying it shares his ideal of honesty in politics. The AIADMK was more cautious, welcoming the actor in politics, but seeking to know his “blueprint” of politics.
Rajinikanth is one of India`s most popular stars and many of his 175-plus films since 1975 have broken box-office records, mostly in Tamil and Telugu languages.
His political prospects appear bright following a huge political vacuum created by the death of Jayaram Jayalalithaa, an iconic political figure, and the near-retirement of 93-year-old Muthuvel Karunanidhi, the leader of the opposition Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam party.
Cinema has always influenced Tamil politics by turning actors into popular politicians. C.N. Annadurai and M. Karunanidhi were both scriptwriters who went on to become chief ministers. M.G. Ramachandran, a top actor-turned-politician, also had a strong screen presence and following among masses.
Born Shivaji Rao Gaekwad, Rajinikanth worked as a bus conductor for three years before joining an acting school. He started in small roles as a villain in Tamil cinema and worked his way up, landing roles in Bollywood, the Hindi-language film industry based in Mumbai.
The Indian government honored him with a top national awards - the Padma Bhushan in 2000, and the Padma Vibhushan in 2016 - for his contributions to the arts. At the 45th International Film Festival of India in 2014, he was conferred the Centenary Award for Indian Film Personality of the Year.
- 15 houses fined having Aedes larvae in city
- Mother’s fight to fulfill daughter’s wish
- 3-day ‘Tree Fair’ begins in Manirampur
- ‘Sonar Bangla should be established to pay homage to Bangabandhu’
- Soroj Mehedi becomes BD Chief executive to MEDCOM-2020
- Big profit in little invest
- PEC exam schedule published
- Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
- Soumitra Chatterjee discharged from hospital
- Israel seeks to beat PTSD with ‘ecstasy’ therapy
- Mechanized farming in Bishwanath
- Mosharraf Karim flew to Canada on birthday!
- Air-ticket on mobile app
- Rohingya refused to go back
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- 2,549 dengue patients return home after recovery in Khulna
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- PM urges to improve Biman’s passenger services
- Nurse murdered over ‘triangle extra-marital affair’
- Rangpur farmers happy with better jute price
- Bubly wants to work with another instead of Shakib
- Probe report against 15 M’singh razakars released
- Another dengue patient die in Dhaka
- 3 cricketers injured in collision with bus in Savar
- Imam’s slit-throat body found in Mosque
- PM opens ‘Gangchil’
- Nepal bans single use plastics on Everest region
- 3 killed as two buses collide in Thakurgaon
- Another man dies of dengue in Barishal
- 3 HC justices ‘barred from performing duties’
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter