‘Rainbow Mountain’, the wonders of nature
Published: 09:34 PM, 7 October 2019
Zhangye Danxia Geopark’s hill is called the ‘Rainbow Mountain’
Nature is always mysterious. There are many different types of elements scattered all over the earth, surrounded by mystery. Many of us may have seen an unmistakable beauty fair of rainbows in the sky on a rainy day. Imagine, what it would be like if a rainbow has been seen in nature without rain. Really it is strange to think!
In Bangladesh, we are in the kingdom of green and surrounded by green. So we are accustomed to seeing nature in green. The mountains also seem to green or matte. There is very few people who can say that the hills are either red-blue or yellow-orange.
Surprisingly, there is a mountain on our continent of Asia, which is not exactly wrong if it is called the ‘Rainbow Mountain’. The hill is called Zhangye Danxia Geopark.
Basically, the various color is the unique feature of the mountain. Every year thousands of visitors gather at the Geographical Park to witness this wonder. Many come back again and again to see the beauty.
Why the Zhangye Danxia landscape has colorful layers?
About 54 million years ago, the area was once part of the ocean. Due to tectonic plate collision, the land folded and formed a mountain.
Red sandstone was deposited when rivers formed in the area. When the ground sank into a basin, mudstone was deposited on the red sandstone. During different periods, varying sedimentary rocks were formed that contained different amounts of ferrous salt in the mud and stone. This is why the layers have different colors.
Because of the changes in sedimentary environments, the sedimentary layers formed have different colors of red, purplish-red, yellowish-green, grayish-green, and gray. Every layer took thousands of years to form.
The movement of the Himalayas lifted the area higher and rivers formed. The river erosion formed gorges, and the early Danxia landscape was created. After further geological periods, river erosion and wind erosion formed the colorful layers that we see today.
The Danxia National Park is located close to the city of Zhangye about 30 minutes West by car, in northwestern China’s Gansu Province. Alternatively, you can go to the city bus station first and travel to the park by bus. The park is located across 124 square miles.
Best times to visit
The park is called Landform Geographical, one of the largest attractions in northwest China. Just after setting foot in this area, tourists might be lost to see the spectacular seven-color waveform flood. All of the tourists became speechless to see the decoration of purple, blue, sky, green, yellow, orange and red colors of the mountains.
The best time to visit Zhangye is from June to September when the weather is comfortable. The combination of bright sun and a little rain brings out the color more. The rest of the year is very dry. Zhangye is well below freezing and windy in winter.
The rocky bands are well defined with colorful stripes, and, if it rains the day before, this color will be more gorgeous. Try not to go when it is cloudy or raining, as only when there is sunshine will these mountains show you their gorgeous color.
It is best to visit in the morning and at dusk, especially at sunset, when the color changes continuously, showing yellow and red layers covered by a light gray layer.
There are four viewing platforms in these mountains. The distance between the four viewing platforms is about 8 kilometer and it takes 2/3 hours to finish the whole trip when taking the sightseeing buses. You have to use the sightseeing buses within the national park because no private cars or tourist buses are allowed.
Remember the national park has no areas that offer any shade. This means the tour will be hot in summer, especially on a clear day. Make sure you take a hat, plenty of water, and some sunblock.
Danxia’s largest platform extends to the east-west. It is basically a vast mountain range where tourists can enjoy the beauty of the seven-colored mountains. This place is great to capture the most beautiful pictures of sunrise and sunset.
It is very normal for anyone to become astonished after seeing the beauty of the mountain range. A whole mountain range that could become a colorful combination really seems to dream. Here, the dry, rough soil is like a canvas. Really, the seven-colored mountain range is very wonders of the whole universe.
- 60,000 Gazipur families get 15-day food
- 190 at home quarantine, 10 released
- Free medical campaign by doctor couple in Shariatpur
- Tabligh Jamaat Amir Maulana Saad infected with coronavirus!
- 7 doctors to provide 24-hour online medical service
- Food aid for poor in Rupganj
- Rice selling at Tk 10 starts Sunday
- 24 hrs curfew issued in Mecca-Medina
- News of ‘exempting home rent’ is rumor
- AFC postpones 2027 Asian Cup host selection
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- City turns to ‘ghost’ town!
- UNO donates one-month salary and allowance to poor
- Real Madrid legend Benito passes away
- Child Shara donates tiffin money to poor
- Ban on mask and sanitizer export lifted
- COVID-19 death toll in Spain surges 10,000
- Coronavirus death toll in US crosses 5,113
- PM asks govt officials, employees to use mask
- Bengali drama on Coronavirus issue
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus
- Harassment in IEDCR hotline
- Govt for increase crop production to cope with coronavirus
- LGRD Minister helps 25,000 families in Cumilla
- Dhaka South Jubo League distributes food to 400 families
- 2 drug dealers arrested with 17-kg weeds
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Golfer Siddikur’s father passes away
- UNO walks to 212 beggars’ huts with food
- Madhupur youth tested negative for Coronavirus
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- School holiday draws to Eid
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium
- First royal dies of coronavirus
- Dogs will detect Covid-19!
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- Coronavirus death toll surges 21,000
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- England plans to return field by early May
- DSCC to provide one-month meal for 50,000 homeless
- BGMEA decides to close all factories
- Security tightens in Dhaka street, police-army on field
- 101 yrs old Italian leaves hospital after healing from covid-19
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51