Rahul Gandhi denied entry to Kashmir, sent back from airport
Published: 08:14 PM, 24 August 2019
Indian opposition leaders including former Congress president Rahul Gandhi were barred from leaving the airport on Saturday in Kashmir, where local authorities had warned that their visit could stoke heightened tension in the region.
The Jammu and Kashmir government said late on Friday political leaders had been asked not to visit Srinagar as the administration works to restore order after weeks of protests against Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Aug. 5 decision to withdraw autonomy for the state.
Rejecting the warning, the delegation of opposition leaders from parties including Congress, the Communist Party and the All India Trinamool Congress said they wanted to assess the situation in the valley, and flew from New Delhi on Saturday.
“If the situation is normal then why is the government restricting us from entering the valley. On the one hand the government says that things are normal and on the other they impose entry restrictions, why so many contradictions?” senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad told reporters before departing.
When their plane arrived in Srinagar, the politicians were not allowed to leave the airport and were sent back within a few hours.
Earlier in the day, senior officials told Reuters the administration in Kashmir had booked a return flight to New Delhi for the opposition leaders to prevent them from leaving the airport.
Tension remains high in Kashmir, with security forces using tear gas against stone-throwing protesters in Srinagar on Friday, after a third straight week of protests in the restive Soura district despite the imposition of tight restrictions.
The valley has been under lockdown since Modi’s decision to withdraw special rights for the Muslim-majority state.
It was the second time that senior opposition figures were denied entry to the state since the prime minister’s Aug. 5 announcement. Communist party leaders were stopped at the Srinagar airport during their first visit.
- Chikon Kala: Jungal of insatiable demons
- Man City hit eight in Watford demolition
- `BNP’s politics centered on illness of Khaleda Zia`
- Over 100 arrested in Paris `yellow vest` protests
- Nawaz, Iftikhar return to Pakistan side for SL ODIs
- Taylor Swift cancels concert amid animal rights criticism
- Iran issues `battlefield` warning as US deploys troops
- Shakib star as Bangladesh win over Afghanistan
- Judge dies after eating Bidya’s cook food!
- Reason behind children’s happiness
- RAB’s drive in Chattogram’s three clubs
- ‘Action to be taken wherever irregularities found’
- 3 students die in Dinajpur boat capsize
- Bangladesh seals thrilling 5-run win against India
- Four died in West Bengal in NRC panic
- Bangladesh lost both openers
- Blind-deaf travels 130 countries
- Bangladesh restrict Afghanistan to 138
- Action against all if evidence found: HM
- 20-beds hospital still not launched in 14yrs
- Ways to prevent upper lips sweat
- JU admission test starts Sunday
- Murder accused killed in Chattogram gunfight
- Kalabagan Krira Chakra president on 10-day remand
- Bus supervisor killed in Natore road crash
- Bangladesh opt to field
- Cops look for burqa woman taking Minni’s photos!
- Bangladesh starts U-18 SAFF championship with win
- Fairytale’s Hiramon
- Talks with Cameron: Suu Kyi lies over Rohingyas’ identity
- All News »
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- BD youth died in Malaysia, body can’t bring as address not found
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Bakarkhani, symbol of an ‘immortal love’ story
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- Puja Cherry got married!
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean