RMG workers demo: Emergency meeting this afternoon
Published: 03:02 PM, 8 January 2019 Updated: 03:20 PM, 8 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
A chase and counter-chase have taken place between police and readymade garment (RMG) workers in Savar, on the outskirts area of Dhaka on Tuesday.
The clash took place when police fired several teargas shells and charged batons on the workers who tried to take the position on the road this morning.
In this situation, the government has called an emergency meeting with garment owners and workers representatives.
The Ministry of Labour and Employment said in a press release that there will be a meeting held under the chairmanship of Labour Minister Monnujan Sufian at the Ministry of Labour building’s conference room at 4:00 pm. Trade Minister Tipu Munshi will attend the meeting.
The Ministry of Labour’s press release said that there has been some misunderstanding among the workers about the implementation of the new wage structure announced for the workers of the garment factories of the country.
The Ministry of Labour and Employment has requested all concerned to be patient and cooperate with it.
The agitated workers continued their protest for the fourth consecutive day by staging demonstration demanding cancellation of the ‘discriminatory’ wage board announced by the government for them.
According to police sources, the workers started to gather in front of their respective factories from 9:00 am and tried to lay a siege on Dhaka-Mymensingh highway at the airport intersection.
Police foiled their attempt. Later, the garment workers carried out vandalism at several factories in the area.
- Al Shabaab raid kills 11 in Somalia
- BNP will face extinction like Jamaat: Hanif
- BKSP clicnh thrilling victory over Brother Union
- UK police arrested 104 yrs woman
- True-Meaning Wearable Displays
- SAU student killed; pushed off moving bus
- Butterfly numbers down: Study
- Nano-bot can probe inside human cells
- Chemical of old Dhaka is now residential area
- Motorcycle crash kills 2 in Panchbibi
- 15 Day training for upazila info service officers begins
- Step against entrants with arms in airport
- CSK to field first aginst RCB
- Two students killed in road crashes in Munshiganj, Gazipur
- Bangladesh Archery team to fly to Bangkok Sunday
- Quader talks to physician
- 3 brands to spend 250 crores on Aamir
- Many `march for love` in New Zealand as mosques reopen
- Rowshan deputy opposition in JS
- 19 drug dealers’ surrender in Feni
- Kamal visits Mosharraf Rubel
- 8 Indian nationals extradited
- Schoolboy killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Boro cultivation exceeds target in C’nawabganj
- Jet Airways hangs flight to Dhaka
- Modi greets Imran Khan on Pakistan National Day
- Taskin chooses World Cup over his prolonged career
- Minister for Human rights violation free Bangladesh
- One killed in Gazipur road crash
- Rohingyas’ involve spreading crime
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- National SME fair begins
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Tigers left New Zealand
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- Hard-hitter Sabbir gets hitched
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed