RMG workers demo: Emergency meeting this afternoon
Published: 03:02 PM, 8 January 2019 Updated: 03:20 PM, 8 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
A chase and counter-chase have taken place between police and readymade garment (RMG) workers in Savar, on the outskirts area of Dhaka on Tuesday.
The clash took place when police fired several teargas shells and charged batons on the workers who tried to take the position on the road this morning.
In this situation, the government has called an emergency meeting with garment owners and workers representatives.
The Ministry of Labour and Employment said in a press release that there will be a meeting held under the chairmanship of Labour Minister Monnujan Sufian at the Ministry of Labour building’s conference room at 4:00 pm. Trade Minister Tipu Munshi will attend the meeting.
The Ministry of Labour’s press release said that there has been some misunderstanding among the workers about the implementation of the new wage structure announced for the workers of the garment factories of the country.
The Ministry of Labour and Employment has requested all concerned to be patient and cooperate with it.
The agitated workers continued their protest for the fourth consecutive day by staging demonstration demanding cancellation of the ‘discriminatory’ wage board announced by the government for them.
According to police sources, the workers started to gather in front of their respective factories from 9:00 am and tried to lay a siege on Dhaka-Mymensingh highway at the airport intersection.
Police foiled their attempt. Later, the garment workers carried out vandalism at several factories in the area.
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- Sugar rise during pregnancy could make childhood obesity
- Laser technique could unlock use of tough material
- Youths to provide jobs instead of looking for employment: Palak
- Evolution of Puppy Dog eyes
- ‘Sinking’ Mughal-era mosque attracts visitors!
- President visits Imam Bukhari (R) mazar
- Atiqul wants to work for children
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- `Please don`t use bad words for players`: Amir to fans
- No charge for client on ‘bKash- Rocket’ balance check
- Fine, if ads on city’s wall, trees!
- Youth ‘kills mother, rapes daughter’
- Mash reluctant to talk about retirement
- Morgan breaks record with six-hitting, England post 397
- IU publishes Fazil, Kamil exams’ results
- Betna River can be crossed walking
- HC orders ‘stern action’ against chemical use in fruits
- Kalyanpur petrol pump fire doused
- Rape allegation against JP Secretary General
- ECNEC approves 11 projects involving Tk 8,052cr
- HM explains posting of Addl SP to Thana as OC
- Massive fire breaks out at Kalyanpur petrol pump
- Trump wants to deport millions US residents
- Give your helping hand for meritorious student`s treatment
- Gold, silver price abated
- GSB discovered ‘Iron ore mine’ in Dinajpur!
- Indonesia ferry sinking leaves at least 15 dead
- Appeal hearing of war criminal Azhar starts
- England wins toss, bat first against Afghanistan
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- JS budget session begins today
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Uday Hakim joins risingbd as Advisory Editor