RMG workers’ demo continues even after Commerce Minister’s assurance
Published: 11:33 AM, 9 January 2019 Updated: 12:01 PM, 9 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The readymade garment (RMG) workers continued their protest for the fifth consecutive day by staging demonstration demanding payment due arrears, implementation of minimum wage announced by the government for them.
Workers started blocking the roads from the capital's Abdullahpur road to the Airport Road, Uttara, Mirpur and Kalshi Rd areas since Wednesday morning. The traffic movement on Dhaka-Mymensingh road has stopped.
A large number of pedestrians have been victimized due to traffic shutdown on Dhaka-Mymensingh road. The traffic congestion on the highway has seen in many lanes.
Assistant Police Commissioner of Airport Police, Mizanur Rahman confirmed the media about the demonstrations.
It is learned that police arrested Ziaul Kabir Khokon, Gazipur District Committee president, CPB Gazipur district general secretary and labor leader, on Wednesday midnight.
According to the information sent by the Daily Bangladesh correspondent, workers have started demonstrating in Savar, Ashulia, Gazipur and several other places.
Earlier, on Tuesday, a tripartite parliamentary committee has been formed to address issues related to the movement and demand of garment workers. The committee formed will meet soon to resolve the issue according to the salary structure.
The new Commerce Minister Tipu Munshi urged workers to leave the movement and return to their respective factory.
Tipu Munshi said that if there is any discrimination or inconsistency in the salary structure of the garment workers, which also will be amended by January. Workers will get the salary in revised grading in February.
- Ex-hockey captain Ibrahim Saber passes away
- Bangladeshis stuck off Tunisia disembark
- Naogaon youth admits to raping girl after killing her mother
- 3 twin sisters of Mymensingh rescued
- UN expert blames Saudi for Khasuggi Killing
- 4 charged with murder over downing of MH17
- Bangladesh made fastest growth in Asia-Pacific region
- Use your phone as a robot to avoid boring work !
- Dhaka Abahani thrash Manang Marshyangdhi 5-0
- Monkeys face climate change extinction threat
- Dubai’s Quranic Park landscape to express story of Islam!
- PCB to review cricket side, support personnel`s performance
- Upbeat Tigers take on Australia tomorrow
- SC upholds HC order on minimum age for FF
- UNO to get Pajero worth Tk 90 lakh
- Bangladesh sets global model in cutting poverty says PM in JS
- World No Tobacco Day tomorrow
- New Zealand restrict South Africa to 241
- Colorful pictures emblazon schools environment
- Govt will identify 30 lakh martyrs: PM
- Hilsa’s abundance in Padma-Meghna
- Quader asks to form new committees before national council
- 108th birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal tomorrow
- India opener Dhawan out of World Cup
- Govt to introduce health insurance for all: PM
- Jubo League leader stabbed dead in Madaripur
- Dr Nurun Nahar made IU law dept chairperson
- Navy Chief returns home
- Selima,Tuku in BNP’s standing committee
- ‘BD hosting 1.2 mn Rohingyas refugees from Myanmar’
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- England wins beating Windies
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry