HC asks for Mainul’s health checkup
Published: 02:39 PM, 8 November 2018 Updated: 02:39 PM, 8 November 2018
The High Court on Thursday asked the authorities concerned of Rangpur jail and Rangpur Medical College Hospital for conducting medical tests of Barrister Mainul Hosein and submit the report by Sunday next.
An HC bench of Justice Syed Refaat Ahmed and Justice Md Iqbal Kabir passed the order following two writ petitions filed earlier by Mainul’s wife Saju Hossein.
It also asked authorities to provide adequate security to Mainul if he is transferred to another jail from Rangpur jail.
The HC fixed Sunday for next hearing.
Advocate Khandaker Mahbub Hossain stood for Mainul while deputy attorney general Kazi Zinat Haq represented the state.
On November 7, Saju Hossain, wife of Mainul, filed two separate writ petitions in connection with the assault of Mainul in Rangpur court.
Mainul who was connected to a talk show programme, ‘Ekattorer Journal’, through a video conference aired on a private TV channel, Ekattor TV, hosted by Mithila Farzana, made an ‘offensive comments’ against her on October 16.
On October 22, Judge Arifa Yasmin Mukta of Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Court in Rangpur issued a warrant for Mainul’s arrest after a local human rights activist, Mili Maya, filed a defamation case with it.
Dhaka Cheif Metropolitan Magistrate Kaisarul Islam sent Mainul to jail in the case on October 23.
Barrister Mainul Hosein was assaulted allegedly by some leaders and activists of Awami League while he was being produced before the Rangpur Chief Judicial Magistrate Court on November 4.
- Japanese SEZ on 1,000 acres of land in Narayanganj
- Price fall in large-cap drives stocks down
- No exams upto class-III from this year
- Teachers-employees call off movement
- Shakib starts IPL campaign with defeat
- Jupiter`s unknown journey revealed
- 82,500 students get primary scholarships
- Shahnaz Rahmatullah laid to rest
- Shakib rings historic bell at Eden Gardens
- UN asked to declare March 25 carnage as genocide
- Voting ends, counting underway
- Only Bamboo Bridge for 16 villages
- Hasnain debuts as Pakistan bat in 2nd ODI against Australia
- Dog `fakes own death` in dramatic reaction
- BNP neither in court, nor in field: Tofail Ahmed
- Postman died for 21 min, then came back to life
- Mass Killing Day tomorrow
- PM mourns death of singer Shahnaz Rahmatullah
- NZ to hold national remembrance next Friday
- Court set Apr 29 for reports submission over DU violence cases
- Hasan Mahmud consoles death of Shahnaj Rahmatullah
- Two killed in trucks collision in Dinajpur
- Ass presiding officer detained in Daulatpur
- UN Undersecretary General meets PM
- Voting underway in Thailand`s election
- World Tuberculosis Day today
- Bus driver detained over SAU student murder
- Students block Dhaka-Mymensingh-Tangail highway at Gazipur
- Bollywood’s 64th Filmfare Awards 2019
- Dry weather likely till tomorrow morning
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- Hard-hitter Sabbir gets hitched
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- Nation celebrates Bangabandhu’s 100th birthday
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- 2nd phase of polls in 116 UZs underway