Putin to attend Libya peace conference
Published: 10:20 PM, 17 January 2020
Russian President Vladimir Putin will attain a peace conference on Libya in Germany on Sunday, as world powers step up efforts to find a lasting ceasefire.
The peace talks in Berlin will focus on stopping the fighting and launching a “broad political dialogue” under the auspices of the United Nations, the Kremlin said.
Libya has been in turmoil since dictator Moamer Kadhafi was killed in a 2011 NATO-backed uprising.
Last April, an assault on Tripoli by military strongman Khalifa Haftar’s forces sparked fighting that has killed more than 280 civilians and 2,000 fighters, displacing thousands.
“On January 19 Russian President Vladimir Putin will visit Berlin to take part in the International Conference on Libya,” the Kremlin said.
Earlier in the day, Russia’s acting foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said preparations for the peace conference were nearly ready but lamented that the war-scarred country’s rivals refused to speak to each other. “In my opinion, final documents look practically ready,” Lavrov told reporters.
But he underlined the huge tension between the heads of Libya’s warring sides — Haftar in the east and the head of Tripoli’s UN-recognised government Fayez al-Sarraj.
“So far ties between them are very tense, they don’t even want to be in the same room to say nothing of meeting each other,” Lavrov said.
Earlier this week, the two men attended talks in Moscow but Haftar left without signing a permanent truce.
Lavrov said it was important for both sides not to “repeat past mistakes” and put forward additional demands after the Berlin conference.
- BB Hockey: Navy to play Army in final on Thursday
- Shahriar Alam urges Qatar to hire manpower from Bangladesh
- Pond excavation in cropland
- Saif record second win in BPL Football
- None applied for Khaleda Zia`s parole: HM
- 1 killed in Cumilla road crash
- Fazle Kabir’s terms extended
- Razzak gives good news to honey farmers
- 35 dredger machine burnt in Sherpur
- Child killed in Netrokona road crash
- Youth dies crushed under train in capital
- 4 businesses fined in Akhaura
- Know the exact time of meditation
- Beware of 10 mistakes while using mobile phone
- 54 held in anti-narcotic drives
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- BNP calls parliamentary board meeting
- Zambian Army commander meets Bangladesh Army Chief
- ‘I saw my baby boy burnt during gang rape’
- 2 held over rape of schoolgirl in Bhola
- Korea to give coronavirus detecting machine to Bangladesh
- ICC unveil Women`s T20 World Cup trophy
- Journey of ‘Adventure of Sundarban’ from March
- Youth killed over bike collision with tree
- Coronavirus: Father hides son
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Faf du Plessis steps down as South Africa captain
- Smoking in the office, use contractors’ cars!
- Youth lynched in Bagerhat
- Biker killed on way to relative’s funeral
- All News »
- Promise Day today
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- 13 dead as trawler capsizes in Bay, 10 missing
- Young Tigers to receive ‘Water Salute’ at airport
- China’s coronavirus death toll jumps to 1,113
- Couple make history with N.Ireland`s first same-sex marriage
- HC upholds death penalty for 5 militants
- Soumya to get married this month
- Oscar 2020: Full list of winners
- Heroes return home today
- PM opens Sheikh Kamal IT Centre in Rajshahi
- Yaravirus panic in Brazil amid Coronavirus
- Soumya with future wife
- China returnee student shifted to Kurmitola
- Mysterious disease left 15 dead in Nigerian
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Coronavirus: Death toll jumps to 900
- Coronovirus deaths surge past 1,300
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- 80 years of Tom & Jerry
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- Uniform entry test in public universities from this year
- Integrated admission test for all public universities from now
- South Africa faces England in 1st T20 today
- Sundarbans Day today