Putin hails new hypersonic missile test
Published: 10:20 PM, 27 December 2018 Updated: 10:20 PM, 27 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Russian President Vladimir Putin has overseen a test of a new hypersonic missile, declaring that the weapon is impossible to intercept and will guarantee the country's security over the coming decades.
Speaking to Russia's military top brass on Wednesday after watching the live feed of the launch of the Avangard system from the defense ministry's control room, Putin said the test was a "great success" and an "excellent New Year's gift to the nation".
According to the Kremlin, the missile was launched from the Dombarovskiy missile base in the southern Ural Mountains and hit its target on a test site in Kamchatka, about 6,000km away.
"The Avangard is invulnerable to intercept by any existing and prospective missile defense means of the potential adversary," Putin said after the test, adding that the new weapon will enter service next year with the military's Strategic Missile Forces.
The hypersonic missile was among the array of new nuclear weapons that Putin presented in March, saying that Russia had to develop them in response to the development of the US missile defense system that could erode Russia's nuclear deterrent.
When first presenting it, the Russian president said the new missile system has an intercontinental range and can fly in the atmosphere at 20 times the speed of sound, bypassing the enemy's missile defense.
He emphasized that no other country currently has hypersonic weapons.
Putin has said that Avangard is designed using new composite materials to withstand temperatures of up to 2,000 degrees Celsius that come from a flight through the atmosphere at hypersonic speeds.
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- Sugar rise during pregnancy could make childhood obesity
- Laser technique could unlock use of tough material
- Youths to provide jobs instead of looking for employment: Palak
- Evolution of Puppy Dog eyes
- ‘Sinking’ Mughal-era mosque attracts visitors!
- President visits Imam Bukhari (R) mazar
- Atiqul wants to work for children
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- `Please don`t use bad words for players`: Amir to fans
- No charge for client on ‘bKash- Rocket’ balance check
- Fine, if ads on city’s wall, trees!
- Youth ‘kills mother, rapes daughter’
- Mash reluctant to talk about retirement
- Morgan breaks record with six-hitting, England post 397
- IU publishes Fazil, Kamil exams’ results
- Betna River can be crossed walking
- HC orders ‘stern action’ against chemical use in fruits
- Kalyanpur petrol pump fire doused
- Rape allegation against JP Secretary General
- ECNEC approves 11 projects involving Tk 8,052cr
- HM explains posting of Addl SP to Thana as OC
- Massive fire breaks out at Kalyanpur petrol pump
- Trump wants to deport millions US residents
- Give your helping hand for meritorious student`s treatment
- Gold, silver price abated
- GSB discovered ‘Iron ore mine’ in Dinajpur!
- Indonesia ferry sinking leaves at least 15 dead
- Appeal hearing of war criminal Azhar starts
- England wins toss, bat first against Afghanistan
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- JS budget session begins today
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Uday Hakim joins risingbd as Advisory Editor